Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > VARIOUS DRUG RELATED TOPICS > Law and order > Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics The war on drugs, drug politics, how drugs influence politics & (inter)national conflicts.

Old 03-04-2012, 15:07
Silver Member

31 y/o Male from United States
Bottled Up Like Dope is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%
Re: Obama’s Drug Policy: Yet Another Broken Promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
While I agree that drug politics in the US haven't particularly improved, I think it's a bit clumsy to blame it all on Obama, as the President only has so much direct power. The ability to effect change on his part is limited, since the President is unable to create law, but only to sign or veto laws passed by Congress. That said, what he could do is bring more attention to the matter, which he hasn't, since the debt ceiling crisis and the war on terror are more popular topics to bring attention to, politically speaking. The ball is really in the court of Congress and the DEA, and as far as the DEA is concerned, the war on drugs brings them a nice big budget to play with.
eh, he could use executive orders to cease certain things such as raids on legitimate state businesses that distribute legal marijuana, which he hasn't done. There is actually a lot he could do with executive orders... Bush II set quite a bit of precedence in terms of expanded executive powers... powers Obama has not been willing to forgo when it comes to other areas. He's tool, just like the last guy... basically.

Post Quality Evaluations:
revealing comment on how much the president could do but doesn't
Old 05-04-2012, 12:51
Policy, Various & Reviews
Co-Moderator

49 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12
Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9%

Students for Sensible Drug Policy are asking for signatures on the petition Tell President Obama to stop his war on medical marijuana:

"To: President Barack Obama On behalf of tens of millions of Americans who are horrified by the federal government's ongoing war on medical marijuana patients and their caregivers, we ask that you end this cruel and misguided policy of raiding medical marijuana establishments.

On April 2, 2012, federal agents led by the DEA conducted a raid on Oaksterdam University in Oakland, California, which has been in business legally under California state law since 2007. This is just the latest attack on medical marijuana by the Federal government, which astonishingly has conducted more raids of this kind than it did under George W. Bush's administration.

Voters and elected officials in sixteen states and the District of Columbia have said loud and clear that medical marijuana should be legal, yet the Department of Justice still refuses to allow well-regulated and professional dispensaries to continue to reliably provide medical marijuana to people who need it.

Please live up to the promise you made when you were a candidate in 2007 and end these heartless raids."

Stacia Cosner on April 3, 2012.

SSDP had initially set this up so that a facebook account was required to sign, I left a comment asking if there is any other way to sign, as some of us don't want anything to do with sites like facebook. SSDP emailed me saying that they have set up an action centre, so that the petition can be signed easily. So far 1004 people have signed, hopefully some of our US members can add to this number.

Last edited by Mindless; 10-04-2012 at 08:23. Reason: changed link
Old 06-04-2012, 23:46
Silver Member

Male from United States
coolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

just so you guys know if you buy anything a politician is saying in a race you are really naive. they will tell you they want to do all sorts of shit but when they get into office they have to work with what they can. ron paul is not and would not do 5% of all the shit people jumping on his bandwagon think he would, just because he has beliefs on issues doesn't mean he can totally dismantle everything and change washington.

wake up, every election you ever vote in is going to be picking the person who will fuck you in the ass as gentle as possible, thats just how it is. its not right, its not good, but its realistic.

by a show of hands who would have rather had mccain and palin in office the last four years???
Old 07-04-2012, 17:43
Reactive Member

Male from Earth
hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.
Points: 2,272, Level: 7 Points: 2,272, Level: 7 Points: 2,272, Level: 7
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%

if this a WAR on drugs, "cannabis" would an arrest mean you are POW?

Im not sure what country you are in reading this, but my country taught me WAR IS WAR. I mean, thats what the United States Government Errrr the REAL GANGSTERS of this planet do.. they start wars, against other countries, against it's own people, and against a fucking plant. Im sorry, we used to be number one.. now were not even relevant because the citizens see through this shit.. even the mindless ones, it doesn't take much to see the Hippocratic views, and that we clearly have weak minded un-intellegent people drawing up laws in this country, not taking into account the public fallout and negative effects this WAR has caused. They want a WAR.. well I happen to have had my life destroyed by this war.. guess its time to fight.

Post Quality Evaluations:
excellent point on drug users as POWs
Old 08-04-2012, 02:21
Policy, Various & Reviews
Co-Moderator

49 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12
Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnabz View Post
They want a WAR.. well I happen to have had my life destroyed by this war.. guess its time to fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RClover View Post
There may be a very select few politicians that have good in them, but and lets be honest they are mostly corrupt and probably never have no real set goal to tackle the problems they say they set out to resolve!
My question is this, what do we need to do to fight effectively, how do we go about replacing myopic leaders, and what can we do to raise public awareness of this murderous tragedy known as the war on drugs? It's encouraging that DF has 1.5 million readers per month, although globally this is a tiny figure, smaller organisations are already making big waves. Groups like the Global Commission on Drug Policy, The Beckley Foundation, Release, and Students for Sensible Drug Policy reflect the informed opinions of many around the globe.

DF itself has a mission to become a global media phenomenon, our adversaries the prohibitionists have used the media for a long time to good effect. It seems that the media is one place we need to engage them. What else can we come up with, is there something we can be doing at DF to educate and engage others? America has memorials to the fallen in past wars, as do most countries. What about a memorial to all those who have killed, harmed, imprisoned and devastated by what is not just US policy, but international policy on drugs?

Such a memorial could include those lost and devastated on both sides of the fence, drugs users, bystanders (encompassing entire countries such as Mexico), and law enforcement workers. Much attention was rightly paid to the tragedy of 9/11, yet the effects of the war on drugs are many times more terrible. If anything merits a memorial then surely it is this. What format could such a memorial take? A series of plaques in prominent places? An international monument, with names, numbers, and stories of victims? How could we go about organising and funding such a project?

Protests and events run by groups like SSDP also have an important role. I'd love to attend events and know that we're not just a bunch of separate lunatics howling at the injustice of it all. There is some good footage of SSDP members confronting US politicians on drug policy in our Video section, and the SSDP website has links to these as well. Guess it's time to see what's going on in the UK for me and start checking for drug policy events and campaigns in the UK. I'd be interested to hear of anything going on in Europe and in the US and elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke View Post
wake up, every election you ever vote in is going to be picking the person who will fuck you in the ass as gentle as possible, thats just how it is. its not right, its not good, but its realistic.
But I want to be celibate, I'm tired of even relatively gentle shafting. Politicians, Bleh! Why don't we think about fielding our own candidates on a solely drug reform ticket? If we're pissed off with the sinister clowns who govern us, maybe its time to give them some competition. I don't think many of us would want to enter politics, and we may stand little chance of winning for some time, but it's hard to win a fight without getting stuck in. Come on RClover, run for election and represent me! Let's get drug reform debate fully in the public domain, both in the media and in politics, on everyone's lips.

Trade Unions have a vested interest in providing resistance to current drug laws and policies, especially employment drug testing. I get the impression that US workers and jobseekers who us drugs are sytematically deprived of the right to work and the dignity of privacy. So far in the UK this is not generally an issue, but I fear that this bullshit will float across the pond at some point. Unions would be uniquely placed to coordinate resistance and raise legal and ethical objections. As for compulsory drug testing, what if everyone refused to participate?

Brave peoples around the world are standing shoulder to shoulder and dying to rid themselves of systematic oppression. I don't know if I could every be as courageous as the people of nations like Syria, but their example shows that united and principled resistance is possible. 'Just say no' (to drug testing)! I know how badly we need jobs, but we need freedom well. As you Americans say, everyone has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

These are probably just some highly unrealistic ideas, but I'd like to know what others think, and what ideas you have on how to start a velvet revolution so that we can take over drug policy for the people who it impacts on the most; us and millions like us.

Last edited by Mindless; 08-04-2012 at 02:34.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:19
Silver Member

Male from United States
coolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
M

But I want to be celibate, I'm tired of even relatively gentle shafting. Politicians, Bleh! Why don't we think about fielding our own candidates on a solely drug reform ticket? If we're pissed off with the sinister clowns who govern us, maybe its time to give them some competition. I don't think many of us would want to enter politics, and we may stand little chance of winning for some time, but it's hard to win a fight without getting stuck in. Come on RClover, run for election and represent me! Let's get drug reform debate fully in the public domain, both in the media and in politics, on everyone's lips.

take your pick my friend, there are hundreds of political parties for every single idea imaginable. legalize weed, drugs, polygamy, bestiality, green party, tea party, red party, blue party, national circle jerk party. it has yet to succeed, were stuck with a two party system, and if you want to vote for someone other than a republican or democrat than you might as well not take the time going to the poll. sure there will be a cliff note that daffy duck go .002 % of the vote after you get a few dozen thousand votes for him.

like i said for now we have to pick our poison, would mccain do better for medical marijuana, or anything else? we would have probably doubled the war in iraq and started to colonize afghanistan, then after he croaked from a heart attack and sarah palin was the president im sure things would be just fantastic.

its easy to get caught up in idealism but at the end of the day unless you have some serious cash lining your pockets, like in the billions, there is not much you can do. its not right, but its whats real and all we have to work with right now.

not sure how that can come to a surprise to anyone, lets start a drug reform party and take over, while were at it lets move to mars and breed with the aliens. all we have to do is click our heels together and say theres no place like home with a big closet full of kilos of coke, heroin, and weed.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:40
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from United States
AllAroundTheLight is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 158, Level: 2 Points: 158, Level: 2 Points: 158, Level: 2
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

at the end of the day america is still run by BUSINESS. legalizing drugs makes it so drug companies would make less money. billions of dollars less.
they want to make damn sure they are the major suppliers and they do what they can to make the policy work most in their favor.
on top of that all the misconceptions that have been promoted by the absurd war on drugs that make them seem like such immoral things, people feel safer labeling them as wrong in a similar way that people misrepresent things like homosexuality. it all boils down to fear of the unknown.
drugs can be dangerous. but they are not "wrong"
more money needs to be put towards treating addicts...not jailing them and treating them the same as murderers and rapists!
Old 28-07-2012, 19:18

IHateOpioPhobes is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

And lets not forget about all those people who go to Jail and then have records. Getting a job in this economy...NOPE. Whoever said that the only thing OBUSTA is commanding is what type of coffee is dead on. He could be much more influential but he his pleasing all our enemies, and pissing and off our allies.
Old 30-07-2012, 23:00

Male from Canada
war209 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 629, Level: 3 Points: 629, Level: 3 Points: 629, Level: 3
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Obama is puppet like all democratic and republic parties of wall street . Obama does NOT care about the poor or the drug war or boat loads of Amaricans locked up for drugs. And even if he did one it be very un cool for president in public eye and two the democratic party , congress and senate would block his bill.

In the US you do one thing do what the party line tells you to do.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:11
Titanium Member

SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.
Points: 2,488, Level: 7 Points: 2,488, Level: 7 Points: 2,488, Level: 7
Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8%

This article reminded me of a lot of things that George Carlin said in his comedy special entitled, "What the fuck am I doing in New Jersey?", which was filmed in 1988. The following quote is what George Carlin said, that the article reminded me of.....

Quote:
"This is a country where tobacco kills four hundred thousand people a year, so they ban artificial sweeteners! Because a rat died! You know what I mean? This is a place where gun store owners are given a list of stolen credit cards, but not a list of criminals and maniacs! And now, they’re thinking about banning toy guns - and they’re gonna keep the fucking real ones!

This is a place where alcohol ruins more lives than cancer and everybody gets upset when some athlete gets hooked on cocaine. You know, Time Magazine and Newsweek, they put cocaine on the cover but they put the liquor advertisements inside the magazine.

It's the old American double standard. Say one thing, do something different. And, of course, the country is founded on the double standard. That's our history. This country was founded on a very basic double standard. This country was founded by slave owners who wanted to be free. Am I right? A group of slave owners who wanted to be free. So they killed a lot of white English people, in order to continue owning their black African people, so they could wipe out of the rest of the red Indian people, so they move west and steal the rest of the land from the brown Mexican people, giving them a place to take off and drop their nuclear weapons on the yellow Japanese people."
It's hard to believe that these government criminals are still getting away with sort of thing, when there have been numerous people throughout our history that have pointed out these things, over and over again, while trying to warn people about this type of hypocrisy.
Old 22-08-2012, 03:10

Male from USA - New Jersey
maroon55 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

You can't possibly like Ron Paul if youre a libertarian. In the absence of government, the powerful would simply take from the weak. Corporations and the rich would rule a feudal society. Corporations that aren't accountable to voters. This is not a society a libertarian would like.
Government empowers little people. You would be way worse off without it. Ron Paul's philosophy of no tax, no regulations, and no minimum wage, would turn America into a wasteland. Businesses would dump waste anywhere they want; kill every tree; clean out the ocean; pay everyone wages that you couldn't live on.
Is business suddenly going to play fair in the absence of regulation, after decades of lawsuits of illegal dumping, poisoning drinking water; Enron; Madoff; insider trading and Martha Stewart? We are still suffering the consequences of the worst economic downfall since the Great Depression, caused mainly because wall street was over-leveraged and under regulated. Shouldn't our agenda be to increase regulations on these "too big to fail" giants, who have the power to hold out entire economy captive?
Wall street just put a gun to America's head for $800 B+ and our response is to give them even more power? (Yes, Paulson pushed the money on them, but only because it was necessary to preserve society.)

You could be right about the government being a little too controlling in some ways, but the point of government, is to entitle everyone to be as free as possible, by preventing others from interfering with your personal freedom.
If you're so free that you're allowed to blow smoke in my face in a resturant, then youre taking away my freedom to breathe.

Obama is not a puppet and so obviously cares for the poor, to a fault. He really wouldn't have spent so many political points, affecting re-election, on issues such as health care, wall street regulation, marriage equality and tax hikes on the wealthy if he didn't care. All very controversial issues that he would have been safer to avoid. He doesn't have any points to spare on drug issues now.

Read his books and actions. Don't listen to profit seeking nutjob Alex Jones.

Last edited by maroon55; 22-08-2012 at 03:21.

Share this on:

Tags
drugs, drugs forum, mexican drug war, obama and the drug war, war on drugs