Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antidepressants
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 22-04-2009, 23:49
Banned

Female from United States
rocknroll714 is a decent psychonaut.
Re: SSRI prevent amphetamine euphoria?

Amphetamine is a Serotonin, Norepinephrine, and Dopamine Release Agent (SNDRA). The effects of Release Agents (RAs) like amphetamine, methamphetamine, and MDMA can be blocked by Reuptake Inhibitors (RIs) such as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs), Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs), Norepinephrine-Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitors (NDRIs), and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (NRIs). The blockade correlates selectively based on which neurotransmitter is being affected. So for example, an SSRI will only block the serotonergic effects of amphetamine.

Despite the fact that amphetamine very, very mildly releases serotonin, it does so at a negligible level (at a rate nearly 150x less than dopamine release, and 450x less than norepinephrine release). Serotonin does not really contribute to amphetamine's effects at all, and I mean at ALL. The same applies to methamphetamine, which although is 2x as potent as a serotonin releaser as amphetamine, is still quite negligible. Norepinephrine does not contribute to the positive effects of the drug hardly at all (ie., euphoria, confidence, sociability, motivation, etc). In fact it'd likely be better if there weren't any norepinephrine release as there'd be less anorexia, insomnia, tweakiness, and anxiety. Dopamine is the seat of the euphoria of amphetamine and just about every other drug that "makes you feel good", including alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, opiates, benzos, MDMA, cocaine, and so forth.

In accordance with the above, SSRIs, SNRIs, NRIs, and TCAs will not directly block the positive effects of amphetamine. The sole NDRI antidepressant bupropion (Wellbutrin) will slightly block the positive effects, but not very much as it's a rather weak dopamine reuptake inhibitor. The reason you're experiencing diminished effects is likely because serotonin suppresses dopamine in many areas, both directly via downstream inhibition by action on 5-HT receptors (especially the 5-HT2C receptor), and indirectly via enhanced prolactin release (prolactin also directly suppresses dopamine). Ironically these so-called "antidepressants" are actually quite dysphoric. They prevent both positive and negative emotion. More like emotional anesthetics if you ask me. I remember I got restless legs syndrome (RLS) from an SSRI once (RLS is caused by too little dopamine). Contrary to popular belief, more serotonin generally does not lead to more happiness, perhaps with the sole true exception being MDMA.

Last edited by Phenoxide; 24-08-2012 at 13:39. Reason: post restored
Old 11-07-2009, 14:11

Male
Mr Jykill is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

A friend experementing with flouxetine (20mg) a day for (2 months) now has been telling me he is enjoying his(weed) far more which could be noticed in a surge in consumption . Last week he was dissappointed in the effects that (coke) had with fluoxetine he told me there was still a buzz of sorts but felt as if something was holding it back plus he cosumed far more than he usually would . He has now changed to (40mgs) a day for about 4 days now and has acquired some ( base - speed ) as he is swallowing it now i will post the outcoming results as it could of interest to swiy
Old 12-07-2009, 02:48

Male from Somalia
heroineADDICT should review received reputation comments.
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1

you guys talk about getting euphoria from Adderall thats just amphetamine from swims experience amphetamine it may put you in a good mood but its not euphoric ir you want euphoria try mdma or heroin.

i read on erowid that prozac (flouxetine) ruins lsd psilocybin mdma (probably the whole md family) and maybe coke (i cant quite remember) and i think citalopram are the same
Old 12-07-2009, 15:49
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

26 y/o Female from United States
Princess is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 143, Level: 1 Points: 143, Level: 1 Points: 143, Level: 1

SWIM got euphoria from Dexedrine whether SWIM was on off off SSRI. SWIM was on SSRIs starting at age 7 and always took a stimulant or an amphetamine with it and felt the euphoria. SWIM at some points for a short time even had antipsychotics with them and some of the antipsychotics didn't block out the stimulants. Most of the time, the amphetamines overpowered the effects of the other meds. When SWIM got off all psych meds, SWIM felt more euphoria from Dexedrine, but that was because SWIM ad been off of it for awhile and the euphoria is much better when you stop taking it for awhile isntead of taking it every day. SWIM also knows other people who felt the mood lift and euphoria of amphetamines on SSRIs as well. Dexedrine gives SWIM the strongest euphoric feeling, Dexedrine slow release kicks in fast and it gives you this happy 'everything will be alright' pelasure whether you are on or off SSRI. However, SWIM was always on the lowest doses of SSRIs as well as extremely low doses of those crazy antipsychoptics SWIM had been on for a short time and much higher doses of amphetamines, so people on higher doses of SSRIs it may be different. Usually, whatever drug is stronger outpowers the effects of the weaker drugs. SWIM enjoys the amphetamine euphoria.
Old 12-07-2009, 17:10
Palladium Member

Male from United States
allyourbase really adds to the discussion.allyourbase really adds to the discussion.allyourbase really adds to the discussion.allyourbase really adds to the discussion.allyourbase really adds to the discussion.allyourbase really adds to the discussion.
Points: 885, Level: 4 Points: 885, Level: 4 Points: 885, Level: 4
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

it could easily happen, the receptors effected by amphetamine (dopamine, adrenaline) are part of the same cycle of nuerochemistry (the catecholamine loop) as seratonin. so it COULD be that long term use of SSRIs would cause a signifigant tolerance to amphetamine. in other words your body may just be seeing what is released by the amphetamine as a "natural" uptick in the other nuerotransmitters in the catecholamine loop, giving you very little "high". also the mood leveling effects of SSRIs may be blocking the psychological component of the amphetamine "high", which for many users is the root of the euphoria, that "superman" feeling is almost certainly rooted in the reptilian brain but plays its role further up in the prefrontal cortex.
Old 04-01-2011, 20:26

26 y/o Male from United Kingdom
jonny87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll714 View Post
...The effects of Release Agents (RAs) like amphetamine, methamphetamine, and MDMA can be blocked by Reuptake Inhibitors (RIs) such as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs), Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs), Norepinephrine-Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitors (NDRIs), and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (NRIs)...

...The reason you're experiencing diminished effects is likely because serotonin suppresses dopamine in many areas, both directly via downstream inhibition by action on 5-HT receptors (especially the 5-HT2C receptor), and indirectly via enhanced prolactin release (prolactin also directly suppresses dopamine)...
rocknroll this is very interesting. Do you know any studies that show any of these things? (RAs being blocked by RIs, serotonin diminishing dopamine via 5HT receptors or via prolactin)

I know that my mates dog Barry is taking dexedrine for ADHD and also was on citalopram so is wondering whether there will be an enhanced effect (either in euphoria/mood or treatment of ADHD symptoms) when the citalopram is out of his system?
Old 13-02-2012, 12:57

Male from United States
indicaged is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

I decided to revive this thread because people seem to be divided or undecided on the topic and I've legitimately taken prozac and adderall/dexedrine both independently of and with each other. Regular, as prescribed (20-40 mg prozac)SSRI usage took some of the euphoria away from 30 mg d-amp daily, but prolonged the tail-end stimulation of the experience significantly. I also noticed increased jaw tension and music enhancement in tandem than alone. That said, acute and chronic SSRI administration are quite different, the drugs all have different half-lives/affinities, and dosage timing makes a difference.

People have told me that Prozac and Zoloft are more likely to have a positive effect than Paxil or Celexa/Lexapro, and the shorter the half-life of the SSRI the more likely that an ADD med will be noticeable. If you take the SSRI an hour or more *after* you take your stimulant you may notice an increase in stimulation, whereas if you do the opposite dopamine release is inhibited. If you take Prozac that tip won't help you because of it's insane half-life.

Don't screw with your medications unless under the approval of a health care provider and check your blood pressure regularly.
Old 15-03-2012, 09:32
Silver Member

Male from United States
ImSoHappy is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 104, Level: 1 Points: 104, Level: 1 Points: 104, Level: 1

This post is intended for those who wish to take prescription amphetamine HIGHER than that considered to be a clinical dose, while taking an SSRI:

Just a word of warning, abusing prescription amphetamine while STARTING to take SSRI's can be extremely dangerous. When first going on an SSRI regimen major changes will be occurring in your brain in terms of serotonin production, so if your abusing amphetamine during this transition period there is a highly increased chance of serotonin syndrome/cardiovascular problems (such as extremely high heart rate resulting in stroke or heart attack)/or psychosis. SWIM has experienced this first hand and it was by far the worst drug experience of his life. SWIM would suggest if one were to use/abuse amphetamine that they first allow there brains to get acclimated to the strong pharmacological changes that SSRI's produce; in other words wait two-three weeks after starting on an SSRI to take an amphetamine in higher than a clinical dose. Or probably more sound advice would be, if your brain chemicals are already out of wack so much that you need to take medication for it, don't fuck them up even more with recreational drug use.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:02
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Troussman is a decent psychonaut.Troussman is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 243, Level: 2 Points: 243, Level: 2 Points: 243, Level: 2
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

AFOAF recently sniffed about 20mg of adderall while on 20mg of paxil. Euphoria was definitely noticed and there was barely if any difference in the degree of euphoria from the ssri/amphetamine combo vs just amphetamine alone. This FOAF did notice however that the comedown from the adderall was more unpleasant in combo with the paxil then without.

Not sure how much of a dose would onset serotonin syndrome. Many doctors prescribe 30mg vyvanse or adderall to patients who are simultaneously taking an ssri. Although the extended release feature of many amphetamines like vyvanse, focalin, adderall must be accounted for. Perhaps the extended releases lower the risk of serotonin syndrome. Not completely sure on that one.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:43

30 y/o Male from Philippines
spencer1018 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperdecker View Post
When SWIM was on SSRI's he noticed a bunch of drugs didn't work. First, shrooms didn't work at all (tried them like 3 times with no luck), Oxycontin was hardly noticeable (you could really feel the Oxy trying to work but you can tell somethings holding its effects back). Also E didn't work either. Eventually SWIM came off of SSRI's and eventually all of the drugs that didn't work started to work.

hi , how long you used ssri, and after how long you start to feel effect after you stop ssri. thanks
Old 27-10-2012, 03:03
Silver Member

Female from Australia
medicated_life is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Activity: 10.5% Activity: 10.5% Activity: 10.5%

I was taking 90mg Cymbalta during my whole methamphetamine addiction, and it had no effect on the euphoria aspect. I still felt intense strong euphoria every time I used meth.
Old 16-01-2013, 06:52
Silver Member

27 y/o Female from Canada
Crystal_Queen is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 127, Level: 1 Points: 127, Level: 1 Points: 127, Level: 1
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%

Serotonin RI Block Serotonin Agonists
Dopamine RI Block Dopamine Agonists
NorEpinephrine RI Block NorEpinephrine Agonists
Epinephrine RI Block Epinephrine Agonists

It's really not that complicated lol..

Share this on:

Tags
amphetamine, amphetamine combinations, amphetamine interactions, antidepressants interactions, serotonin syndrome, ssri combinations, ssri interactions