Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:25

Female from United States
slashmicleg is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
will using after 50+ hrs only start withdrawal over?

I need advice for a freind...

They have been using vicodin, loratab, loracet for the better part of 5 yrs and within the last week have gone down for 10 a day (100mg) to 6 a day then went cold turkey. then when reached over the 52 hr mark broke down and took a few pills. Will this start their withdrawal all over again? Are they now just starting from square one or will this have a somewhat tapering down effect? Please any advice as soon as you can..

~scared and alone
Old 06-03-2012, 01:49
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,317, Level: 12 Points: 7,317, Level: 12 Points: 7,317, Level: 12
Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9%
Re: will using after 50+ hrs only start withdrawal over?

I wish I could tell you no, but unfortunately yes.

You broke down because the withdrawals are terrible, when you took some you felt better. A way you can think of it is as long as you feel those terrible withdrawals, when you take the medication, it will kind of start it back over. Now some people say this isn't true, but from personal experience, it is for me at least. I do know that two days, even three is not long enough to go without withdrawals coming back if you take a dose.

There are ways to end this taking medication without feeling as terrible as you do. One thing people recommend is the "thomas recipe" which is for the most part things you can buy at the grocery store and or the drug store. It mainly consists of vitamins, minerals, protein, hot soaks, and exercise. There are some herbs that can help with the withdrawals but some of them such as kratom while helping CAN develop into it's own addiction. You went just over 2 days, and for the most part, for most people, when they stop taking hydrocodone the withdrawals are the worst for about three days and then gradually go away.

There are a LOT of threads on here mainly in the "opiate recovery" forum that can help you out along the way. I suggest you don't take other opiates or kratom simply because you went just over two days in and if you did that basically without help, you can get some help that are not opiate/opioid or opiate agonist and make it the whole way.

Again, there is A LOT of information on the site about options you have. I do want to warn about tramadol. It helps some people with stopping hydrocodone, but, the withdrawals from tramadol are worse than the opiate withdrawals (though they share some of the same types) because for many people they get seizures. Tramadol has SSRI like qualities and REALLY raises serotonin levels. Other than that, I think you can find some good help.

Good luck and please keep us updated, feel free to message if you have any questions. I work at night, but check my inbox in the morning.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:05

Female from United States
slashmicleg is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1

thank you for being honest, but they atleast didn't make the withdrawals worse by any chance did they?? If they could do it for 50+ hrs once they can do it again right? They shame and guilt they are feeling is very intense for having to start all over once again....
Old 06-03-2012, 03:10
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,317, Level: 12 Points: 7,317, Level: 12 Points: 7,317, Level: 12
Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9%

Your withdrawals will not become worse now. You already did the amount you did per dose, as often as you dosed, for as long as you used the medication. Actually, I forgot to add that many people do a taper (long or short) where they either take less and less every 4 to 6 hours, or they go longer before dosing again (which you still should drop the dosage as you do this) so they dose every 4 hours, then every 6 then every 8 then every 12 then only once a day. The longer the taper, the less severe the withdrawals, however you being as tough as you are, I doubt you need a long taper if a taper at all once you learn about what you can get to go through this.
Old 08-03-2012, 17:50
Titanium Member

47 y/o Male from United States
brettjv probably knows what they are talking about.brettjv probably knows what they are talking about.brettjv probably knows what they are talking about.brettjv probably knows what they are talking about.brettjv probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 553, Level: 3 Points: 553, Level: 3 Points: 553, Level: 3

No, it will not make w/d's 'worse', nor will a 'few pills' (20 or 30mg) after 52 hours when someone stopped at 60mg/day make any big difference in the recovery process. But that is IF (big IF) you DON'T FALL BACK INTO ADDICTION at this point.

In terms of immediate effects, at worst, right now, you're probably looking at feeling slightly worse for one day (the day after the pills) than you would've had you not taken them, and it will probably cause you to not get back to feeling normal for an extra day or two when all is said and done. NOT a huge deal.

But again, this is predicated on only doing what you did ONCE ... the REAL danger incurred by what you did ... is that you've increased your chances of failing at your detox. Not so much because of the direct physical effect, but more because of the psychological effect. Don't let it 'get to you' in this way ... it is what it is, you did what you did ... now keep moving forward in putting this whole mess behind you.

We're here for ya!

Share this on:

Tags
opiate withdrawal, opiates, withdrawals