Notices

Old 25-10-2009, 03:57
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United Kingdom
kettering is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Lump on arm

SWIM managed to get himself a lump on the vein on the back of the forearm. He tends to go in there backwards, against the flow, he's been advised against it but says it's easier. Anyway, presumably when fuckered at some point he missed a bit possibly (but doesn't remember that happening at all) and has had a lump under the skin about halfway down the forearm for about a fortnight, maybe more, maybe three weeks now.

No pain, no redness, no swelling, no nothing. But one can feel it if you run your hand there. SWIM has seen the nurse at the drug clinic place he goes to, who said see a doctor at some point, no desperate rush unless something happens with it. Obviously SWIM ought to do that, though he's hesistant to tell the NHS how he got it.

He was wondering if anyone else had found themselves with anything like this. Also he was telling me he had a friend that used to drain abscesses himself at home, and although this isn't an abscess at this point, was considering trying to drain the lump himself.
Old 25-10-2009, 08:26
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 14,965, Level: 17 Points: 14,965, Level: 17 Points: 14,965, Level: 17
Activity: 17.2% Activity: 17.2% Activity: 17.2%
Re: Lump on arm

Sounds like a little bit of the OPs last hit missed.
If this lump becomes red, sore or hot to the touch see the doc/nurse asap, it could be an abscess.
However after this amount of time it will possibly be ok, and will gradually disappear on it's own.
If this happens in the future, just massage the lump very lightly, not roughly, straight after injecting. Sparkles found when she's missed a hit, and she's sure it's not an abscess, just gentle rubbing in a circle, over and around the lump can also help.
Usually any blood (which it possibly is) will be absorbed over time. But if you're worried, don't hesitate to check it out.
Again, as the OP has already mentioned injecting against the flow of blood is not the best idea, perhaps taking a little more time, or a different injecting site, will make it easier to inject forwards, or along with the flow of blood, as opposed to backwards and against it.
It has been mentioned, in another post , that you can stick a needle in the lump and drain it yourself. I'd just like to point out that this is never an option, the only person who should attempt that (if it's necessary) is a doctor or nurse.
Sticking anything in any lump could introduce infection, so never, ever, do this.
Take care and be safe.
Sparkles.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Wonderful response to the original poster's question
Old 25-10-2009, 11:16

Male from United Kingdom
kettering is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1

Cheers, again. x
Old 25-10-2009, 11:41
Gold Member

Helene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline Medline
Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9
Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0%

Swim's had all sorts of weird little lumps and bumps over the years. Years of injecting causes scar tissue to form, veins become thrombosed and sclerosed, all this results in odd lumpy bits. As the Sparkly one said, just keep an eye on it. As long as it doesn't start showing any of the signs of infection (red, sore, hot to the touch, you get a fever etc) it's probably not worth worrying too much about it. But do keep half an eye on it, yeh?

Swim has noticed when using that vein in the back of her arm, the one that you describe, she more often ends up with little lumps and bumps. Not sure why this is, the flesh seems to be slightly tougher there, and more prone to scar-tissue formation.

Swim also finds it really hard to get that vein whilst pointing the pin the right direction (i.e. towards your heart). It is fucking tricky, and to be perfectly honest, she's not found a way round it yet. All swim makes sure is that she injects slower than usual, to compensate for the fact that she is injecting against the flow.

Good luck with it all,

H

Last edited by Helene; 18-02-2010 at 22:50.
Old 26-10-2009, 08:03
Platinum Member & Advisor

missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 14,965, Level: 17 Points: 14,965, Level: 17 Points: 14,965, Level: 17
Activity: 17.2% Activity: 17.2% Activity: 17.2%

Helene has just reminded me of another thing.
When you try to inject into a very small vein, say on the back of the hand it has to be done a lot slower than when injecting into a larger one, the inside of the elbow, for example.
So basically, if the substance injected is greater than the blood flow the vein can take, it will just stretch the vein (blown vein), hence a lump.
That's happened to Sparkles on occasion.
Hope this helps?
Sparkles.

Good information for the OP and others to know about injection speed.
Old 26-10-2009, 09:47

29 y/o Male from Afghanistan
Birkill is an unknown quantity at this point

I think every swimer has had the odd lump and bump at some point i know my turkey has and yea injecting slow should be the done thing whereva your iv`ing just in case it comes out. If swiy is having trouble shooting in the right direction he should find a friend who knows what he`s doing although sometimes a friend is a complete knitwhit at shooting or cant feel propely when the hits come out! Swim has a friend that just cant get him self and swim just watches him geting angryer and bloodyier till swim just says for fucks sake give it here ya tit!
Old 26-10-2009, 17:32
Silver Member

Female from United States
east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.
Points: 813, Level: 4 Points: 813, Level: 4 Points: 813, Level: 4
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

swim hates these "problems" that come up. swim tried to hit in the inside of her finger (palm up) and it swelled up REALLY badly to the point where it's been 8 days now and the swelling has gone down, but she can't feel the tip of her pinky finger.

swim can barely type because of it (so she's having me type this for her).

also, the second finger over, the ring finger wont straighten out without her holding it straight, it's kind of hunched over and the same thing happened years ago to the ring finger on the other hand and it's never straightened out properly.

but when this happened on the other hand years ago, she doesn't remember not being able to feel anything in her fingertip and it's really stressing her out.

she feels like she might have to have an operation on her hands, maybe she did something to the tendons or ... who knows, but it's scaring her.
Old 26-10-2009, 21:14
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
Ill~Will is learning how to become a psychonaut.

Swim has noticed this when he misses a little, takes a few days to go away.
Old 26-10-2009, 21:52

28 y/o Female
MsBrownstone is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 303, Level: 2 Points: 303, Level: 2 Points: 303, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by east_of_eden View Post
swim hates these "problems" that come up. swim tried to hit in the inside of her finger (palm up) and it swelled up REALLY badly to the point where it's been 8 days now and the swelling has gone down, but she can't feel the tip of her pinky finger.

swim can barely type because of it (so she's having me type this for her).

also, the second finger over, the ring finger wont straighten out without her holding it straight, it's kind of hunched over and the same thing happened years ago to the ring finger on the other hand and it's never straightened out properly.

but when this happened on the other hand years ago, she doesn't remember not being able to feel anything in her fingertip and it's really stressing her out.

she feels like she might have to have an operation on her hands, maybe she did something to the tendons or ... who knows, but it's scaring her.
Be REALLY, REALLY careful when using the little veins in your fingers, Sway can't remember but someone posted a story not too long ago about how they missed a shot in their finger and really damaged it permanently. If you don't absolutely HAVE to use them, its best to stay away from them. If it doesn't get better, definately go and get it checked out by a doctor or something.

MsBrownstone added 2 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Ooops, Sway just realized that SWIeastofeden's finger had already been messed up for eight days.. Definately get it checked out, a normal miss should have been pretty much cleared up by now. Fingers aren't something to play around with, you'll really miss it if things take a turn for the worse.

Last edited by MsBrownstone; 26-10-2009 at 21:52. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-12-2009, 05:43

Male
Ellious is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

SWIM shot up H and also got a lump.
The difference is that it was more painful to the touch the first two days but now it isn't very painful at all, although it is higher, more inflamed. It is hardly red and SWIM doesn't even notice it aside from how noticeably raised it is. SWIM shot up four days ago and this is the longest any lump has lasted, as all the others were just missed veins. Is this anything SWIM should be concerned about?
Old 18-02-2010, 06:07
Silver Member

Woody.Brown is a decent psychonaut.Woody.Brown is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 170, Level: 2 Points: 170, Level: 2 Points: 170, Level: 2
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

It's possible that your lump could be a fibrosis (scar tissue of the vein which forms when swiy injects at the same place over and over again - in the future swiy could try rotating as much as possible)
Swim has loads of lumps and bumps at old and current iv sites and like swiy had a pain-free small lump in the crook of left arm. This lump sat there causing no problems for a long time and then suddenly with no apparent reason (swim had stopped using that site a while ago due to excessive vein damage so there was no obvious trigger), it started to get bigger and harder. Within a couple of weeks the small lump had turned into an internal abscess, approx 3 Inches in diameter. It was red, hot, swollen, the skin was stretching and peeling off (due to it being on the inside) and the pain was immense. It took 3 courses of strong antibiotics, plus draining - by a doctor! for the infection to go and even now, 6 months later, swim still has a hard red scar as a reminder.
The only reason Swim bores swiy with this story is to reiterate how important it is to keep an eye on seemingly harmless knobbly bits. Swim was warned by health professionals that she wasn't far off from having to have surgery.
I'd recommend that swiy regulary checks all old and current sites and if any changes are noticed, inform drugs worker or nurse as soon as poss. Quite often, because these things are on the inside, they can remain undetected and unfortunately the later it's discovered the harder it is to treat.
Stay well, stay safe..
Woody x

Great harm reduction, always good to keepn eye on any lumps, however long you've had them.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:10

33 y/o Male
HoneyBeliever is an unknown quantity at this point

Please take this to heart. I got my first infection from IV use six days ago. I was just about ready to suck it up and go to the hospital when I read online that honey has been used as a natural antibiotic for thousands of years. Up until this point I have not been able to squeeze any puss out of the infection, except for a tiny amount that came out after I punctured the big lump on my arm with a needle.

I put a glob of natural, unprocessed, honey on the infection and put a large dressing over it. Approximately five hours later, I took the bandage off, expecting a great deal of the huge glob of honey to still be there. I found that the honey had completely absorbed into my skin, and the wound had changed shape. I began squeezing the mound of skin that was protruding from my arm, and the puss flowed like a river. I stood there squeezing the wound for at least 20 minutes, with constant flow. It was unbelievable.

If you ever have an infection from IV use, please try this. It may have saved my arm and my life. Please pass this on.

HoneyBeliever added 67 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

There is one other thing that I was not clear about. I stated in my earlier post that I had pushed a needle into the growth on my arm to try and get some of the infection out before I administered the honey. The holes from my doing that may have been the only reason that the infection flowed out so easily.

HoneyBeliever added 131 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

I am writing this as it happens, so here is the latest update. After a collective hour of squeezing the infection site (some of the puss was so thick that I had to pull it out with a Kleenex between my fingers), I have a big hole in the site where I injected. Because of that big hole, I am skeptical as to how much the honey had to do with catalyzing the drainage. Also to be noted, I took a shower right before I took the bandage off the first time, but I seriously doubt that that had anything to do with the drainage starting.

Last edited by HoneyBeliever; 10-06-2010 at 04:10. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 22-06-2010, 04:36

31 y/o Male from United States
johawkjones should review received reputation comments.
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

I had a party last Thursday and we all were injecting speed and being ripped out of my mind I missed a little and could feel it so I stopped re-inserted and finished the hit. Well now 4 days later I have a huge bubble at the injection site which is hard and has been causing a little bit of pain. I am so frightened and to think I quit using opiates 3 weeks ago and I only blasted those rid's because I was drunk. What should I do and I am too scared to see a doctor. Please help someone!

self-incrimination is against the rules, as is cross-posting (posting the same- or practically the same - thing in multiple threads; it dilutes the answers that would be better all found in one place.
Old 22-06-2010, 04:56
Silver Member

43 y/o Female from United States
OpiLuvnOldLady is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1

First the old broad wanted me to let you know that we don't self incriminate here. None of us that write here ever do anything illegal. We only write about the antics of our drug addicted pets or friends. So please double check the rules on posting.

On to the answers... She's guessing that the substance in question was Ritalin since there's a reference to rid's and speed. So it seems that it's tablets that are being dealt with.

First, is the lump starting to become warm/hot to the touch? Is it red and inflamed? These are the things that are important. If so, hate to say it, but it sounds like the beginning of abscess. And that's something that should be handled by a medical professional.

If it's just a lump and is not real tender and showing the above signs of infection, then one could probably get away with warm compresses and gentle massage. Ideally on the warmer side of warm, but NOT hot. With the warm compress on gently massage the area in a circular motion for about 15 mins or so per session. And these sessions should be done (this is a guess) at least 4 times per day.

When the old broad was still shooting on a regular basis, and if she had a miss like that, she'd do them about once every 1-2 hours until it seemed to be resolving on it's own.

But please, watch for signs of infection cause that can be dangerous.
Old 22-06-2010, 05:03

31 y/o Male from United States
johawkjones should review received reputation comments.

Thanks and I did not mean to self incriminate I just was scared.
Old 22-06-2010, 05:10
Silver Member

43 y/o Female from United States
OpiLuvnOldLady is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1

It's fine. The old broad just wanted to make sure that people are able to keep posting and not ending up with a lot of negative rep or infractions.
Old 23-06-2010, 04:59

Female
kahlesucks is an unknown quantity at this point

Swim did something reckless. She was impatient and decided to inject methadone in a vein on the front of the foot. Basically the ankle, but on top where your calf connects to the foot. No blood registered but when the needle was removed much blood came out, leading swim to believe it was indeed a vein. Swim decided to try injecting slowly to see if the area would swell or burn at all and it didn't. In fact everything seemed to go just fine. However 8 hours later the area is quite sore to the touch and is red (very very slightly) and the ankle has become swollen. Nothing is "extreme" per say. However Swim is very concerned to be experiencing redness, swelling, and pain so many hours after injecting. The area is warm but honestly nothing noticeable unless swim wasn't obsessing over the matter so much. Swim's swelling is minor but socks leave small indentation marks. Swims other concern is the pain is not in the area of injection it is actually on top on the foot in the middle. Is this an abscess? Swim has had irritations before but they occur immediately after injections and go away within 1 day maximum. Swim has never experienced pain and swelling so much later when initially everything seemed perfect. Swim is terrified to go to the dr as swim does has marks on arms and also has a child. Please help swim with advice, as she is feeling very scared and disappointed in herself.
Old 30-06-2010, 21:11

Male
Ellious is an unknown quantity at this point

Swiy probably didn't have an abscess, although swim hasn't heard of anything like that before. Swiy might have torn a vein or damaged a tendon. Has swiy used the ankle before, and how is swiy's condition now?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:31

32 y/o Male from United States
skiddy should review received reputation comments.
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1

If u had missed the vein a little bit it would be a Skin Pop method like others said if no problems arise you sould be fine. possible a little pain
Old 25-08-2010, 13:56

32 y/o Male from United Kingdom
gabbadave is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1

SWIM has also got these lumps(amphetamine), no swelling,redness or pain and is sceptical about scar tissue as the injection sites have only been used once or twice!

SWIM used to use one site on arm for many years with no problem. After moving house to a new area this was no longer possible (hole in arm) Now veins seem to vanish or get small lumps in them with minimul use.

Could it be due to substances used for cutting? Or maybe just body taking its toll?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:05

Female from United States
Dumpster should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

. This lump sat there causing no problems for a long time and then suddenly with no apparent reason (swim had stopped using that site a while ago due to excessive vein damage so there was no obvious trigger), it started to get bigger and harder. Within a couple of weeks the small lump had turned into an internal abscess, approx 3 Inches in diameter. It was red, hot, swollen, the skin was stretching and peeling off (due to it being on the inside) and the pain was immense.

Just thought i'd add in that abscess' can show up anywhere, not just the site you've been hitting. A missed hit will unload its bacteria anywhere(idk if i said that right, but i hope you get the picture...

I also think i'm correct in saying that an abscess can sit there for awhile, then pop up, still irritated or infected from the missed iv injection that won you that lump.
Idk if i can mention other forum names, but a similar place has a thread on someone getting an abscess in an arm he hadn't used in 3 weeks, like the OP, except i dont recall if the bump was present up until the three weeks. It might have literally just popped up, buy idr...
Old 05-03-2012, 04:23

36 y/o Male from United States
Agent.OrAnge.. is an unknown quantity at this point

SWIM has been reading this forum for years and wishes he registered sooner but there’s so much good info here SWIM usually finds a good answer for anything…

SWIM needs some help and can’t find any info as to the specific problem he’s having with an injection site…

SWIM has been using this high quality dope for 10 years give or take and off and on. For most of that time SWIM mostly smoked it being such good quality and cheap. However, due to a misfortunate accident SWIM was prescribed lots of painkillers and got such a huge tolerance that he decided to try IV… SWIM had a SWIY that was a regular IV user and gave SWIM his first injection with a 28g insulin syringe…

SWIY injected SWIM a few more times and gave SWIM a few syringes and all the other needed equipment like cotton, cooker, etc.

SWIM has since been injecting himself… SWIM made a lot of mistakes at first… He was frequently not registering. As SWIM got the hang of it, SWIMs next problem was registering but getting bumps after injection… SWIM realized he was moving the needle around between registering and plunging… Thus some units weremissing the vein…

In SWIMs experience, Bumps from misses usually go away within an hour at most in SWIMs.

SWIM finally mastered injecting himself but encountered A BIZZARE PROBLEM!!! Any info for SWIM would be appreciated as SWIM has asked all his friends that have been doing this for years and never heard of this problem. This is stressing SWIM out L

After getting the hang of doing it, SWIM has been injecting himself for about a month now and without any problems, no misses, no bumps, etc.

HOWEVER – HERE’S WHAT’S FREAKING SWIM OUT…

SWIM has been injecting mostly in the RIGHT hand and area between wrist and elbow, those seem to be the places SWIM can find good sites…

SWIM doesn’t inject in the left arm anymore until he can figure out what the problem is…

The Problem - The last 2 times SWIM tried the left arm he injected successfully into the left hand above the wrist… Each time, bumps would appear literally 4-5 inches away from the injection site along the same vein on the upper part of the arm. No bumps on the injection site… This just doesn’t make any sense to SWIM… How are bumps appearing 5” up the vein after a successful injection in the same vein just above the wrist on the top of the hand???

SWIM asked lots of people who been doing this for years and no one has ever heard of that…

To SWIM the only thing that makes sense is if there’s a hole in the vein where the bumps are appearing… So maybe when SWIM injects into his hand, the increased volume of liquid/pressure in the vein traveling up is causing blood/dope to leak out and cause these bumps???

But that doesn’t really seem to make sense? Or be possible? Is it?

This happened twice and SWIM has ceased using the LEFT arm and has never had a problem with the right arm…

The RIGHT arm needs a break but SWIM is worried to use the LEFT arm again due to this happening the last 2 times he did it…

When SWIM began injecting himself and he thinks he MAYBE possibly went through the vein a few times (if he even did) in that area where the mystery bubbles are appearing… He was using a 28 gauge needle and at the time didn’t have a problem or any issues after, nothing out of the ordinary….

So SWIM is wondering is anyone ever heard of this happening and why?

Is SWIMs hypothesis possible that he caused a small hole that is fine except when excess pressure and fluid from the injection are introduced into that vein?

And if that is the case, surely after a month it should be healed? SWIM just doesn’t want to take a chance again until he understands better what the problem is.

Any info would be appreciated J

Share this on:

Tags
abcess, blown shot, heroin iv, intravenous help, intravenous heroin, iv help, lump near vein, meth bumps, missed vein, shooting up help, swelling at injection site