Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis > Coffeeshops
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Coffeeshops Discussion about Dutch Coffeeshops, Coffeeshops in the UK and Coffeeshops around the world & Cannabis clubs

Old 29-09-2011, 20:50
Titanium Member

Female from United Kingdom
mrsolearyscow probably knows what they are talking about.mrsolearyscow probably knows what they are talking about.mrsolearyscow probably knows what they are talking about.mrsolearyscow probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 934, Level: 4 Points: 934, Level: 4 Points: 934, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Quiet coffeeshops in Amsterdam

Which coffeeshops are quiet and frequented by locals? The Creature is going to Amsterdam in November, and it wants to avoid the places full of rowdy tourists. (The Creature wants to be a non-rowdy tourist.) It's been told that Stix and Tweede Kamer are good in that respect.
Old 29-09-2011, 21:09
Palladium Member

28 y/o Male from Luxembourg
C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.
Points: 3,633, Level: 8 Points: 3,633, Level: 8 Points: 3,633, Level: 8
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Re: Quiet coffeeshops in Amsterdam

You know, to my own embarrassment I couldn't really name a coffeeshop in Amsterdam that is laid back, not usually crowded, with a nice, welcoming interior - in other words, a coffeeshop where one would actually like to stay. That is mostly because, when I'm in the Netherlands, I usually stay at different places in the country, and I just go to Amsterdam for a day to buy a gram or two of weed. In any case, what you can do though is to buy great weed in one of the more frequented coffeeshops, and then look for a decent, nice coffeeshop to stay at. Some shops offer great food and drinks, and you can just go there, eat something and enjoy the smoke from a different shop. That allows to you to search for really great coffeeshop to stay at, instead of having to look for a shop that is both a great place to hang out and to buy weed.

Having said that, I once was told that shops around the Albert Cuyp Market are nice, but I never been to shops in that area. It's not exactly in the city center, so things are a little more relaxed there. If you want to check this out, you can a take a tram that passes by Albert Cuyp from the Dam (the main central square of Amsterdam). Not sure about which tram line, but you can find that out when you're there, they go like every 5-10min or something.

Let us know if you find any shops that you'd consider worth recommending!
Old 29-09-2011, 21:30
Titanium Member

mrsolearyscow probably knows what they are talking about.mrsolearyscow probably knows what they are talking about.mrsolearyscow probably knows what they are talking about.mrsolearyscow probably knows what they are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.D.rose View Post
In any case, what you can do though is to buy great weed in one of the more frequented coffeeshops, and then look for a decent, nice coffeeshop to stay at.
Yeah, the Creature is thinking of buying stuff from Barneys and Amnesia and then taking it elsewhere to get a cup of tea and some food. While a good weed menu isn't a requirement for a place to smoke, Tweede Kamer sounds especially convenient in that it has the same products as Dampkring but allegedly isn't as loud. (The Creature has seen very mixed reviews about Dampkring's atmosphere.) Stix has also got positive reviews concerning its menu.

The Creature has already booked a hotel, but if it was going to do things all over again, it would've booked a weed-friendly hostel so it had somewhere to smoke in peace at leisure.

Quote:
Having said that, I once was told that shops around the Albert Cuyp Market are nice, but I never been to shops in that area. It's not exactly in the city center, so things are a little more relaxed there. If you want to check this out, you can a take a tram that passes by Albert Cuyp from the Dam (the main central square of Amsterdam).
That's a good idea, and it's always fun to explore. Thanks.
Old 29-09-2011, 21:57
Palladium Member

C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsolearyscow View Post
Yeah, the Creature is thinking of buying stuff from Barneys and Amnesia and then taking it elsewhere to get a cup of tea and some food.
Without wanting to make advertisement here, those are both pretty good choices. And thanks to some user's (*cough*) efforts, you can already check out the menu at Barney's right here (never mind the time stamp that says 2007, the pics were taken a few months ago, and I can confirm that it was still accurate about one month ago).

Quote:
While a good weed menu isn't a requirement for a place to smoke, Tweede Kamer sounds especially convenient in that it has the same products as Dampkring but allegedly isn't as loud. (The Creature has seen very mixed reviews about Dampkring's atmosphere.) Stix has also got positive reviews concerning its menu.
Yes, I too have heard good things about Tweede Kamer. I have never been there or in the Dampkring, but what I can say is that, from the outside, the Dampkring does actually look interesting, not like the typical dimly lit coffeeshop, but whether it's great for staying... not sure. The menu and quality is said to be good though.

Quote:
The Creature has already booked a hotel, but if it was going to do things all over again, it would've booked a weed-friendly hostel so it had somewhere to smoke in peace at leisure.
I guess this always depends. I did a trip to the Netherlands to a "weed-friendly" hostel once, and it was cool, but today I would definitely choose a regular hotel/place to stay. In those "weed hostels" you are basically 24/7 surrounded by other stoners, most of whom are really going to their limits in terms of amounts they consume. That's not really an environment I would feel good in nowadays. Staying in "regular" places allows you to get in touch with "regular" folks, locals, and to learn more about the country and its people. There's so much more about the Netherlands than weed and coffeeshop, and I always find it to be a pleasure to be there.

Depending on when you are going to there (summer, winter?), you may actually not even need your own place to smoke because you can do so outside. When I'm in the Netherlands I always keep in mind not to behave like the stereotype of the coffeeshop tourist who shows absolutely no respect for the local population, but as long as you don't smoke openly on the street, it should really be fine. There are lots of green areas all over the city where you can smoke in peace without annoying anyone, and I have very much enjoyed doing that the last time I was actually staying in Amsterdam.

Quote:
That's a good idea, and it's always fun to explore.
Yeah, true. I can say that the area around Albert Cuyp looks like really nice, I passed through there by tram last time I was in Amsterdam (on my way from and to the Park&Ride thing), and it looked like its a quite nice neighborhood. Let me know how you like it if you go there.
Old 29-09-2011, 22:42
Silver Member

OT82 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1

I stayed there a few years ago and went to Styx a few times. It's a great place- at the time we generally went it was full of business men having a spliff and a cup of tea on the way home, no tourists giggling at their own feet. The weed was great, we had a very friendly and knowledgeable waiter who made good recommendations. We did visit other coffee shops but Styx was the one we returned to.

A tip- I learnt a little, very little conversational Dutch before I went (I like to understand some of what is said, even if it's a few words) and everyone I spoke to really appreciated it, even if we had to switch to English after ten seconds. Apparently people just shout English at the Dutch and assume they will understand, and we have a reputation for not bothering to learn other languages. So a little effort went a long way.
Old 30-09-2011, 02:54
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
Plasma is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 114, Level: 1 Points: 114, Level: 1 Points: 114, Level: 1

My rabbit went a while back and was looking for a similar environment, there are quite a few with loud music, dim lights etc. which may be a bit intimidating but if you search around you'll find one to your taste.

My favourite was a place call Picasso, it has a lovely atmosphere and everyone is friendly. We got there early and spend a good while chilling in there. It did get slightly packed later around midday but the 3 times we went we never saw any rowdy foreigners (granted there were foreigners, but nice ones). They also had a jazz band in the evening which was awesome. I would suggest looking for shops outside the centre if you're looking for a more chilled out experience.
Old 30-09-2011, 03:07
Productive insomniac
Administrator

99 y/o Male from Netherlands
Alfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 83,170, Level: 41 Points: 83,170, Level: 41 Points: 83,170, Level: 41
Activity: 48.5% Activity: 48.5% Activity: 48.5%

If you dont want crowds and tourists, then go to another city. There are various nice cities besides Amsterdam.
Old 30-09-2011, 23:57
Titanium Member

Quote:
Yes, I too have heard good things about Tweede Kamer. I have never been there or in the Dampkring, but what I can say is that, from the outside, the Dampkring does actually look interesting, not like the typical dimly lit coffeeshop, but whether it's great for staying... not sure. The menu and quality is said to be good though.
Dampkring does look really pretty. (So I was a little sad when I saw people describe it as 'brash'.) Maybe it's better if caught early before the crowds.

Quote:
In those "weed hostels" you are basically 24/7 surrounded by other stoners, most of whom are really going to their limits in terms of amounts they consume.
Yeah... I see your point. A private room in a weed-friendly hostel seems preferable to a bed in a dormitory, but even so... It's naive of me to expect everyone to be sensible about usage.

Quote:
Depending on when you are going to there (summer, winter?), you may actually not even need your own place to smoke because you can do so outside.
The Creature is going in November, and is expecting to get rained on. Another visit some time in March (or earlier, for cheap flights and accomodation) is very appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OT82 View Post
A tip- I learnt a little, very little conversational Dutch before I went (I like to understand some of what is said, even if it's a few words) and everyone I spoke to really appreciated it, even if we had to switch to English after ten seconds.
Oh good. I've been practicing some basic stuff and was worried about embarrassing myself by mangling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
My favourite was a place call Picasso, it has a lovely atmosphere and everyone is friendly. We got there early and spend a good while chilling in there. It did get slightly packed later around midday but the 3 times we went we never saw any rowdy foreigners (granted there were foreigners, but nice ones).
The Creature will definitely check out Picasso! It's in a very convenient place, as well. It might be my first stop when I'm in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa View Post
If you dont want crowds and tourists, then go to another city. There are various nice cities besides Amsterdam.
Amsterdam was chosen primarily for the museums and galleries. Rotterdam looks good for galleries too, but it seems like a better place to visit in summer when the buildings look less grim. I'd like to take family to Lisse to see Keukenhof at some point.
Old 01-10-2011, 00:15
Palladium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsolearyscow View Post
Oh good. I've been practicing some basic stuff and was worried about embarrassing myself by mangling it.
Language is actually a good point, I was thinking about bringing it up but chose not to, so I'm glad someone else brought it up now ... Basically, the funny thing is that when people notice you are not a native speaker (or fluent in Dutch), they switch automatically to English. That saves those weird moments where you start talking to someone in a foreign language, but then don't know how to continue, so that you have to switch to English yourself. And while people are basically friendly regardless of whether you initiate a conversation in Dutch or English, it's a totally good idea to learn a little bit of the local language.

Quote:
Amsterdam was chosen primarily for the museums and galleries.
If this is a first trip to the Netherlands, Amsterdam is a must-see in any case, I would say. Alfa is right that there are many other nice places in the country, but Amsterdam is, in my opinion, actually quite nice too. It's a different 'nice' of course, but it's nice nonetheless.
Old 15-11-2011, 13:27
Titanium Member

Here is a note I found in my dog's mouth:

Quote:
Okay, I got to visit Andalucia, Stix, and Picasso.

Andalucia was great because I got there at around 11 am last Friday, and I had the second floor entirely to myself. The ground and first floors had unoccupied tables, but still felt a little too cosy for my liking. I bought a spacecake, then smoked some extremely smooth Amnesia kush. I think there was reggae music on the sound system, but it was so quiet that it was just a sibilant hiss. It was really nice, although the upper floors were quite rough and needed cleaning.

I dropped by Stix to pick up some Silver Super Haze at around 1 pm that day, and the ground floor was pretty cramped. I didn't check out the upper floors, as I was just popping by while en route to Foam.

I passed Tweede Kamer at 3 pm, and it looked packed, so I didn't bother going in.

I smoked some of the Silver Super Haze and ate the spacecake later that night. I'm not sure about the cake's potency, as I was already high off the haze.

On Saturday, I went to Picasso at around 11 am and had a cup of tea while smoking more of the Silver Super Haze. The place was actually a lot smaller than it looked in the pictures. There were a few people inside, but business was relatively quiet. They were playing old music, although the Stranglers is the only band that sticks in my memory. I sat at the long table by the window so I could watch people go by. However, the Silver Super Haze completely kicked my ass, and I soon started to feel like the people were watching me. Then some guy stood in the doorway to shout at one of the customers for what felt like forever, and the atmosphere was kind of ruined for me. I left the place and chose to undertake an epic quest to find a McDonalds... Although somehow I ended up sitting on a bench in De Nieuwe Kerk, staring at a stained glass window and wallowing in religious guilt while experiencing some really weird sound distortion. (Also, I was so high that I was COMPLETELY INCREDULOUS upon discovering that a lot of shops - even McDonalds - had toilet attendants. I don't know why this was such an earth-shattering revelation, but it was.)

Sunday and Monday were spent museum-hopping, exploring, and smoking the rest of my stuff outdoors.

I didn't get to do half the stuff I wanted to do during my holiday, so I need to go back. Amsterdam is small enough for you to get to most places on foot, but I personally felt like I was spending 70% of my time there just walking from A to B. (Which was enjoyable, but I'd really gone with the intent of seeing more museums.) I'll be renting a bike the next time I go.

I also spoke English the entire time, as it helped lessen the stress of traveling (speaking other languages makes me feel ridiculously self-conscious), but Dutch was often quite easy to understand.
Old 14-02-2012, 01:00
Silver Member

Male from United States
jgarlopa is a decent psychonaut.jgarlopa is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 322, Level: 2 Points: 322, Level: 2 Points: 322, Level: 2

Quote:
You know, to my own embarrassment I couldn't really name a coffeeshop in Amsterdam that is laid back, not usually crowded, with a nice, welcoming interior - in other words, a coffeeshop where one would actually like to stay. That is mostly because, when I'm in the Netherlands, I usually stay at different places in the country, and I just go to Amsterdam for a day to buy a gram or two of weed. In any case, what you can do though is to buy great weed in one of the more frequented coffeeshops, and then look for a decent, nice coffeeshop to stay at. Some shops offer great food and drinks, and you can just go there, eat something and enjoy the smoke from a different shop. That allows to you to search for really great coffeeshop to stay at, instead of having to look for a shop that is both a great place to hang out and to buy weed.

Having said that, I once was told that shops around the Albert Cuyp Market are nice, but I never been to shops in that area. It's not exactly in the city center, so things are a little more relaxed there. If you want to check this out, you can a take a tram that passes by Albert Cuyp from the Dam (the main central square of Amsterdam). Not sure about which tram line, but you can find that out when you're there, they go like every 5-10min or something.

Let us know if you find any shops that you'd consider worth recommending!
Cowboy knows of a good coffeeshop called "Club Media" at Gerard Doustraat 83-85 / 1072 VN Amsterdam. It's one block away from Albert Cuyp Markt, directly between the market and the Heineken Experience. The location was moved a few yrs ago. The interior was remodeled, and it's mostly locals who go there, so one of the most relaxed that Cowboy saw during his trip to Ams. As for the weed itself, what sets the place apart from the rest is that the menu is entirely organic, and the buds are always perfectly dried and cured.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:47
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
C11H15 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 121, Level: 1 Points: 121, Level: 1 Points: 121, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

Hi man! im from the uk and love amsterdam, it is a wonderful city and also has wonderful weed!

i personally recommend the Sensemilla located in the west district
(Meer en Vaart 177/B
1068 LA Amsterdam)

I just wrote a quick review for you below, if your interest. Im not a rep but i just love this place...

I am not a local and it as located close to our hotel so i thought we should at least check it out and compare it to the central coffeeshops, you know for personal reference. It turned out to be an unusual one! The building is strange and unwelcoming, no sofas, no chairs or seats of any kind! Only a small bar in one main room and few staff (all being very quite, untalkative and speaking in dutch despite obviously being british after saying 'hello', not that it is an issue for the dutch or english, just for service). However, dont let the negatives deter you! Inside and up the stairs is a sparkling clean main room, which is spacious and with no furniture (except a juke-box, a self-service coffee machine and a snack and drink vending machine) there is plenty of room and the perfect amount of space on the bar counter for you to roll a joint on. The menu is simple but contains a few rare and exotic strains of the highest quality; not too dry, not all clipped into small buds, wide variety of hybrids, indicas and sativa purebreeds. Some of the tastiest strains out there and all the ones i couldnt find in the centre on the main market.
Finally, the thing that finishes this place off with a 9/10 is are the prices. They are well below those of central coffeeshops, even after a day of relaxing and exploring the city mad-high (averaged 5g per day -shared between two) and spending money, i still had enough for a gram for the road and a joint at this place.
The balcony is also a huge attraction! it overlooks the canals and the faces the city centre with a tramlink intersection right outside with lots of stops. The balcony has a few seats in but was too windy to roll a joint, the windows are covered with a plastic-glass which enables customers to smoke outside without being legally 'outside'.
The other customers seem to be the same as the staff, very quite, all 18-middle aged and quite a mix of economic and ethnic backgrounds and keep to their own business par a few quickly-shot glances.
as i said 9/10. fav place in 'dam.

Post Quality Evaluations:
please post reviews to our reviews section.

Last edited by Alfa; 10-02-2014 at 05:55.

Share this on:

Tags
amsterdam, amsterdam coffee shops, cannabis coffeeshop, coffee, coffee shop, coffee shops, coffeeshop, coffeeshops, drug, drugs, drugs forum, drugs-forum, haze, holland, oxycodone, weed