Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Methadone
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 29-01-2012, 17:50
Gold Member

24 y/o Male from Northern Ireland
davestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medline
Points: 3,538, Level: 8 Points: 3,538, Level: 8 Points: 3,538, Level: 8
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%
Why you shouldn't inject methadose you bought on the street (graphic photos)

Thought I'd post this as a warning to IV users of oral methadone, especially those who buy on the street. He took all precautions when IV'ing, alcohol wipes, new needle each time, clean cotton etc. This is a guy who posted it on another board I use. I asked his permission to use them too, though I'm still waiting on a type up about the whole affair. I don't think that it'd be a pleasant task to relive though.

Basically, the long and the short of the situation is he injected some methadose he bought from someone and ended up with a raging staph infection causing necrotising fasciitis and within 48 hours he broke out with boils on both arms. It cost him about 100000AUD and he lost the use of his left arm, with extreme damage to the muscle, nerves and tendons in both arms. In His right arm he has lost most of his sense of touch and fine motor skills. He will be on pain management and disabled for the rest of his life

This is some disgusting stuff, be warned
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg7.jpg4.jpg8.jpg

Post Quality Evaluations:
Thanks for these pictures out of RL. please link this to the injecting methadone threads.
A disturbing but valuable addition to the forum. Good warning,thanks for sharing.
For patient privact please blank out any identifying items such as the patient's face.
Excellent post and warning to not inject drugs which were not intended for injection, especially those already inliquid form. There is high risk of infection, and a false sense of security.

Last edited by davestate; 12-10-2012 at 18:33.
Old 29-01-2012, 20:34

Female from United States
Stewbid1 should review received reputation comments.
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Why you shouldn't inject methadose you bought on the street (graphic photos)

Please give your friend a tip from me. Learn how to clean a needle if you insist on using one! AFOM was a pincushion for the big H & OC until she got on oral dōn. She did horrible things to her lovely veins. She saw tons of infections too. Here's how to REALLY clean a needle: pour bleach into something clean & disposable (preferably). Pour clean water into a separate container. Draw the bleach ALL the way up 3-10X, then do the same w/ the water. Why shoot a drug that kicks in fast sublingual/oral anyway? Make sure he deals w/ that infection fast! I've had friends lose body parts to infections that started by looking a little red or purple. I'm sure the AIDS prevention website still has instructions for cleaning needles if you want to verify my info. Just google it. They started giving out the pamphlets when they stopped giving out clean needles. I really think that's why I don't have HIV & my veins still work. I hope he's ok! Please update! 

Stewbid1 added 12 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Sorry, I have to add this. That black hole looking thing on the lower L pic? It looks how AF's arm looked just before he woke up paralyzed one day. He couldn't get up but luckily he was found before the sepsis killed him. He was on IV antibiotics for a few months then they removed a few veins (dud your friend have some taken out too?), then he had to relearn how to walk in a rehab hospital bc the sepsis got to his spinal cord. That took just under a year. It was crazy when they drained it too! The hospital laid him right on the arm that was messed up & the pus leaked out. I'm glad I was there for him & more glad he's still alive. The whole thing sucked but I could've lost someone I really loved & by the looks of it so could you. Get him to the hospital! 

not great safety info to flush used rigs and/or needles. those things are SINGLE use.
aside from unsafe advice, PLEASE stop using slang like 'dōn' - this is an international forum and you are adding confusion by doing this constantly

Last edited by Stewbid1; 29-01-2012 at 20:34. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 29-01-2012, 20:47
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
catseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,085, Level: 11 Points: 6,085, Level: 11 Points: 6,085, Level: 11
Re: Why you shouldn't inject methadose you bought on the street (graphic photos)

Sorry to veer OT here, but please be very careful about advocating the use of bleach to clean needles.

There is a lot of harm reduction debate about the overall safety and effectiveness of this, if the bleach is not fully rinsed out properly it can cause more harm then good to the veins.
Whilst bleach may kill the HIV virus (and even that is debatable in real life, outside of lab conditions and based on time of exposure and strength, etc), it does not kill HCV, which is a huge problem for IV users.

Also, its important to clarify that the water must be cold - never ever rinse with hot water as that will coagulate any blood in the needle, trapping any viri/bacteria which will then be reinjected into the next user

The best and safest advice is to always use a new rig - not just for the sake of preventing BBV's but also because of the damage caused by dull points.

Dave, those are some frightening photos - I hope your friend continues to recover...any idea if he was using a micron/wheel filter? Not that shooting pills is ever a safe idea really...*sigh* (oops just realised it was probably liquid he was shooting, nevermind the filter bit if it was!)
Old 30-01-2012, 00:19
holier than thou

48 y/o Male from Germany
TheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,967, Level: 13 Points: 7,967, Level: 13 Points: 7,967, Level: 13
Activity: 39.6% Activity: 39.6% Activity: 39.6%

I am awfully sorry to be OT, too,

But I feel I got to contradict the words of Stewbid1, even stronger than catseye did.

No one can clean a used needle to a point when it would be fit to inject a second time.

Not even with a proper ultra-sonic cleaning device and afterward EO-sterilizing it.
Used needles tend to go out of size very quickly and that is where the dirt and the bacteria and virii hide.
Please take it from someone who has worked eleven years on cleaning and sterilizing OP devices in a university's hospital, used rigs and needles are in no way reusable,

Not by the first user and even less for somebody else.

Use the time you would use to "clean" needles better with searching for a source for clean, new ones.

Again, sorry to have had to go off topic.

TBBW

Good advice and warning.
Old 30-01-2012, 01:30
Gold Member

davestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medline

Just a quick note to get this on track, the rig used was completely new out of the packet every time. The methadone came from a bottle, albeit bought on the street, I'm not sure if it was unopened, but he thought it was. He very nearly lost his life to this, his family was briefed to expect the worse at one stage, he's also very lucky not to have a double arm amputation.

Noone can pinpoint the source of infection, contaminated methadone, poorly sterilised skin, partially missed shot. Who knows, but this should be a warning to IV users of medicines not designed for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbid1 View Post
Sorry, I have to add this. That black hole looking thing on the lower L pic? It looks how AF's arm looked just before he woke up paralyzed one day. He couldn't get up but luckily he was found before the sepsis killed him.

Get him to the hospital!
The black part is congealed blood/dead tissue. It was even worse before surgery. He went to the hospital pretty quickly, but the infection spread very fast, you could look at it, come back 15mins later and the borders of infection had spread
Old 30-01-2012, 02:10
holier than thou

48 y/o Male from Germany
TheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond repute

I myself am a methadone user who did inject oral methadone. MY methadone, that is.

I have so often heard and seen people who had serious issues from injecting methadone they bought off the street. This went from simple infections of the skin tissue up to losing the sight of an eye, because the methadone had been cut with red wine.

When I imagine "street suppliers" with hands unwashed for hours or even days, I find it simply gross to inject anything they had contact with. Even heroin powder and tar are known to have infecting germs in them, so wtf?*shudder*
How much more prudent should one be with a substance that doesn't even get heated before use ( wheras presuming that cooking up smack would sterilize or just disinfect the solution is an error that is still constantly made, an urban legend that simply won't die, because it's handed down from one generation of uninformed junkies to the next and so on).

While one can get away being lucky like I was then, with only injecting my own done no one can be sure the bottle hasn't been opened, the inside touched with dirty hands, sneezed in it or simply cut with god-knows-what.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry there is no smelling internet, that could compete with the view of the above pics.
Stay safe, Folks!

TBBW
Old 30-01-2012, 02:50
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf View Post
I have so often heard and seen people who had serious issues from injecting methadone they bought off the street. This went from simple infections of the skin tissue up to losing the sight of an eye, because the methadone had been cut with red wine.

When I imagine "street suppliers" with hands unwashed for hours or even days, I find it simply gross to inject anything they had contact with. Even heroin powder and tar are known to have infecting germs in them, so wtf?*shudder*
How much more prudent should one be with a substance that doesn't even get heated before use ( wheras presuming that cooking up smack would sterilize or just disinfect the solution is an error that is still constantly made, an urban legend that simply won't die, because it's handed down from one generation of uninformed junkies to the next and so on).

While one can get away being lucky like I was then, with only injecting my own done no one can be sure the bottle hasn't been opened, the inside touched with dirty hands, sneezed in it or simply cut with god-knows-what.

TBBW
The amount of sugar in it alone is a risk, missing a shot could really set up a nasty festering area ripe for infection.
On another note, are substances made up for oral use held to the same aseptic standards as substances made for IV use? I mean, if the methadone comes concentrated in a big bottle and must be diluted prior to dispensing, surely there is a risk of airborne contamination? This probably wouldn't be an issue for oral use, but IV is a whole different ball game.

On the topic of street suppliers, Christ only knows where the dope has been. Cooked up in some lab in a jungle, swallowed or packed up some mules ass, handled and cut by numerous middlemen, held inside the mouth or sweaty palms of some dealer...it's a wonder people survive any length in the game!
Old 30-01-2012, 03:01
holier than thou

48 y/o Male from Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by davestate View Post
On another note, are substances made up for oral use held to the same aseptic standards as substances made for IV use? I mean, if the methadone comes concentrated in a big bottle and must be diluted prior to dispensing, surely there is a risk of airborne contamination? This probably wouldn't be an issue for oral use, but IV is a whole different ball game.
Until you get them straight out of the bottle, my pharmacists has told me that yes, the have the same standards.

And I've been lucky with this, having levomethadone in the only concentration available,- not so sure about rac-methadone which (in Germany) comes as a powder to the pharmacists who are the ones to make a solution out of it.

Surely their working conditions are nowhere near to sterile, even if they wanted it like this.

TBBW
Old 30-01-2012, 23:44
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
somnitek is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 213, Level: 2 Points: 213, Level: 2 Points: 213, Level: 2

OMG, he's going to be in agony if there's packing to change. Or worse.

Point? I was recently in the hospital for a nasty IV drug related wound on my leg. It went from bruised, to apparently scabbing, to infected and then infected and ulcerated. Was in the hospital for four days, and had to have surgery to debride the wound. The attached photo is how it looked a few days after surgery.

Considering it started out looking like it did (also attached)... And I can't even imagine the hellish pain this poor kid is going to be in.

Blows my gaping flesh wound right out of the damn water!

Nice photos relevant to the thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg legwound_postsurg_01.jpg (55.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg accd_artry_inj03.jpg (362.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg accd_artry_inj01.jpg (318.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 31-01-2012, 01:25
Silver Member

33 y/o Female from Canada
FastFifty is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 136, Level: 1 Points: 136, Level: 1 Points: 136, Level: 1

Oh my god! Ok you guys, WOW. That is fucking insane! I mean seriously. You have put the fear of god into me about even dreaming of booting my methadone now. WOW!.............wow!
I'll say thanks in advance, as you could have saved me from a similar fate. I will NEVER even DREAM of doing that anymore.....WOW!
Old 31-01-2012, 12:03
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
somnitek is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 213, Level: 2 Points: 213, Level: 2 Points: 213, Level: 2

I've been thinking about this on and off all day and though it should go without saying, it occurs to me to point out the following:

Watch those injection mistakes like a hawk, especially if there's sign of infection!

This infection, as said by the OP, occurred AND progressed to this state in JUST FORTY EIGHT HOURS! Therefore, WATCH THOSE MISSES, and for the love of of God, if you suspect this, or see (the borders of, for example) EXPANDING at a SUSPICIOUSLY FAST RATE, don't even chance waiting for a Doctor's appointment the next day. GET TO AN ER RIGHT THEN, RIGHT THERE. The consequences of not doing so are so steep they are terrifying to contemplate. EVEN IF YOU'RE WRONG, IT'S WORTH THE FALSE ALARM. So, you waste six to twelve hours at the ER, SO WHAT?! It's clearly worth the precaution in cases like this. If you see something concerning, DO NOT HESITATE! IF you do have this infection, and respond to it with emergency medical help FAST (and I do mean FAST, like "hours, maybe even minutes, count"), it could mean the difference between a few days hospital stay, and a close call ...OR! BEING AN AMPUTEE, OR WORSE, DEATH!

good advice, don't wait for things to get this bad!!
Old 31-01-2012, 12:44

22 y/o Male from Canada
Liltony420 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

Maybe boil needles in a pressure cooker for several hours? But I still don't think its a good idea to reuse them.
Old 31-01-2012, 13:16
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
catseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,085, Level: 11 Points: 6,085, Level: 11 Points: 6,085, Level: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltony420 View Post
Maybe boil needles in a pressure cooker for several hours? But I still don't think its a good idea to reuse them.
No. Boiling disposable syringes or pins will only deform the plastic barrel or the collar/seal part of the needle. It will also cause any remaining blood to congeal and pose a risk to anyone reusing.
Disposable syringes are not meant to be boiled.
Old 31-01-2012, 13:23

35 y/o Male from Afghanistan
georgie25 should review received reputation comments.

It dont matter hat drug you IV, methadone or whatever, if you hit anq artery this will happen.

This is oztright wrong, these things come from infection with staphylococcus bacteria, this has absolutely nothing to do wit where the dirty hit was. Wrong, not adding to the article and an absolutely useless, superfluent oneliner.
Forget useless, this is a dangerous, unnecessary 1-line post that adds nothing to the discussion. This is thoroughly incorrect.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:30
Titanium Member

35 y/o Male from Earth
&rew is on the way up&rew is on the way up&rew is on the way up

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgie25 View Post
It dont matter hat drug you IV, methadone or whatever, if you hit anq artery this will happen.
Nah, man. When you hit artery there is another problem. It ain't harm too much your flesh, just like after normal not missed shot, but it will harm your feelings . You can trust me that if you shot methadone into artery once you won't do it again, never and ever. Shooting heroin into artery not that pleasant but shooting 'done... SWIM was lucky enough to hit artery on wrist so new feelings touched only one finger. Feeling like someone rips off nail and then puts finger into boiling plumbum. And all you can do is just wait and curse yourself.

Thanks for correcting gross mistakes!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:28
Silver Member

Male from United States
Crestcreepin is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong, but read the ROA for Methadone on the site.

taken from wikipedia
"Methadone is almost as effective when administered orally as by injection. In fact, injection of methadone does not result in a "rush" as with some other strong opioids such as morphine or hydromorphone, because its extraordinarily high volume of distribution causes it to diffuse into other tissues in the body, particularly fatty tissue; the peak concentration in the blood is achieved at roughly the same time, whether the drug is injected or ingested."

seems kinda useless and detrimental to IV methadone. Be careful everyone. SWIM has never done it so cannot say by experience.
Old 21-03-2012, 11:53
Silver Member

35 y/o Male from United States
sugarspliff is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1

wow, that's the worst thing i have ever fucking seen, fuck.

Share this on:

Tags
drugs-forum, injecting, injection, iving, methadone, methadone dose, methadose, necrotising fasciitis

» New Threads
should I stay or should I go?
Last post by so so sad in vegas
3 Replies, 52 Views
FDA Kratom Import alert!!!
Last post by ianzombie
84 Replies, 5,120 Views
kratom and help on day 5 no opiates
Last post by DepoV
2 Replies, 87 Views
Discontinuing Vyvanse abruptly
Last post by MWP6150