Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > SOCIAL FORUMS > Social Forums > Drug culture
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Drug culture About drug icons, drug idols, drug related literature, music, movies, art, conferences & festivals

Old 01-02-2010, 21:52
R.I.P.

Male from United States
EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.
Points: 2,267, Level: 7 Points: 2,267, Level: 7 Points: 2,267, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Drug Slang Is Positively Stupid

SWIM's AFOAF used to deal drugs, he doesn't anymore and advises against it, but if he were to stand leaning on the wall at a club, concert or festival and mumble "methylenedioxymethamphetamine, d-lysergamide, n,n, dimethyltryptamine, diacetylmorphine", he probably would have just gotten looked at funny. If he replaced that list with "rolls, doses, deemsters, dope" he would have sold out in 20 minutes and then been free to enjoy his night.
Old 01-02-2010, 22:27
Silver Member

Male from United States
coolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,398, Level: 7 Points: 2,398, Level: 7 Points: 2,398, Level: 7
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

swim doesn't mind drug slang. swim wouldn't have any connections if he called someone saying "could swim please get one ounce of cocaine?", he rather say something that other people dont understand. swim knew some people who talked in pig latin over the phone. swim doesn't find it hard to talk to people using slang, though sometimes people can get confused and need more explaining. yes if drugs were legal swim would prefer people use their proper names, but as long they are illegal he will stick with slang. swim has bought drugs over the phone in front of his people who had no idea he was doing anything of the sort.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:18
Silver Member

26 y/o Male
DextroClonazyCodone is a decent psychonaut.DextroClonazyCodone is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 317, Level: 2 Points: 317, Level: 2 Points: 317, Level: 2

SWIM is in 100% agreement with the OP. Slang in the drug culture completely devalues any of their cases for legitimacy.

Saying that you smoked "weed" sounds like something a four-year-old would say. A gosh-darned (is cursing aloud here??) adult would say that they smoked some Cannabis "on the Sativa side", or whatever. It is immature to use slang terms.

It also lumps all drugs users into a pool of illiterate idiots. Of course drugs will remain illegal when the people who sell them don't know a damn about their pharmacology, let alone their name!

I get very upset on this subject, as you can see!!

Post Quality Evaluations:
(+) short said but perfectly said.
Old 20-04-2010, 00:30
Silver Member

Male from United States
Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.
Points: 329, Level: 2 Points: 329, Level: 2 Points: 329, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DextroClonazyCodone View Post
I get very upset on this subject, as you can see!!
And you're also wrong. As is the OP. Perhaps my previous post was a bit too obscure.

To be specific about exactly WHAT you are wrong about:

Slang is the RESULT not the CAUSE OF prohibition.

Slang is not something people do to 'be cool' it's something they do to not get busted by the drug Nazis.

Slang is not immature, it's WISE.

All that said, YES immature kids do use old ass drug slang to sound cool or as if they know something. What's really funny is that more often than not they're way behind the curve on new slang which is devised monthly if not weekly in some more closely knit circles.

Drug slang is literally nothing more than form of information encryption. You can be as fucking self righteous about the words you like to use but it won't get you the drugs you want unless you live in a culture that shares those values and doesn't need to encrypt their information from an oppressive ignorant militant nazi police state.

Seriosuly dude, gtfo over yourself and wake up. words are just words and the ones you use don't make you any better than anyone else as long as the target audience understands what one is saying.

Glad to see some sense presented. Those two seem to have lost the plot.
Wraps the discussion up nicely.
Old 21-04-2010, 03:39
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Female from United States
SmokeRings is a decent psychonaut.SmokeRings is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 208, Level: 2 Points: 208, Level: 2 Points: 208, Level: 2

SWIM thinks she is in love with you for your post, Euthanatos93420!
Old 25-04-2010, 11:25

28 y/o Male
purple sprite is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euthanatos93420 View Post
And you're also wrong. As is the OP. Perhaps my previous post was a bit too obscure.

To be specific about exactly WHAT you are wrong about:

Slang is the RESULT not the CAUSE OF prohibition.

Slang is not something people do to 'be cool' it's something they do to not get busted by the drug Nazis.

Slang is not immature, it's WISE.

All that said, YES immature kids do use old ass drug slang to sound cool or as if they know something. What's really funny is that more often than not they're way behind the curve on new slang which is devised monthly if not weekly in some more closely knit circles.

Drug slang is literally nothing more than form of information encryption. You can be as fucking self righteous about the words you like to use but it won't get you the drugs you want unless you live in a culture that shares those values and doesn't need to encrypt their information from an oppressive ignorant militant nazi police state.

Seriosuly dude, gtfo over yourself and wake up. words are just words and the ones you use don't make you any better than anyone else as long as the target audience understands what one is saying.

^^^^this

to all the people that are so against using slang, no one is forcing you to use it, you could always just stand there and let the whole world know what you're doing if thats what you're into.

(-) That could be taken as a personal attack. I suggest reading the rules.
Old 25-04-2010, 11:52
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 15,418, Level: 18 Points: 15,418, Level: 18 Points: 15,418, Level: 18
Activity: 7.5% Activity: 7.5% Activity: 7.5%

I do think there's a huge difference between people using slang to safeguard their activities, like years ago Sparkles can remember a mate always asking if Bill was about, when they needed to score some weed (in the UK the plant is in fact called weed) this was necessary. Now the ridiculous names given to mephedrone (for example) is totally different. It has made the users look kinda stupid, and makes them seem juvenile. It does give the impression that they're just idiots who are more concerned about looking cool, being in "the know" about all the new slang names for this now outlawed legal high, than responsible drug users.

It cuts both ways, and can be taken too far.

Sparkles.

PS. Not knocking the majority of mephedrone users, or the drug.
Old 02-05-2010, 18:21
Mercury Member

Male from Finland
TheOpium needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

Yes, when talking on the forums it should not be used at all SWIM thinks, not AT ALL. But if you're in town, very crouded no place calmer to go, then it's always good to know a little slang but SWIM also hates people saying things like "smoke that dope" or stuff because some people call heroin dope and some call cannabis dope so.
Old 28-01-2012, 20:48

22 y/o Male from United States
Highly Intoxicated is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

I agree with missparkles in that some use slang just to sound cool and that many people overuse them but there is also a creative aspect to using slang terms. Its almost like a style of language and it can be fun to use them. And obviously if you're in public you can't just ask your friend "do u want to smoke some marijuana?" or even "smoke some weed" without people knowing what you're up so you make something up. Some people might even think that your showing off or acting better than them if you use too much scientific language. Anyway it just sounds awkward to use words that are too complicated.

Slang can sometimes be confusing but it adds color to our language
Old 28-01-2012, 21:24

Male from United States
Teknicality is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
Activity: 4.6% Activity: 4.6% Activity: 4.6%

There are plenty of slang that I like, but I dislike some of the more conventional terminology used for grass.

Weed - unwanted plant
Pot - Roots must conform to the boundaries of this
Bud - I think of this as comparable to calling a woman 'cunt' because it shows how people use the plant as if it consists strictly of genitalia

Just call it cannabis!
Old 28-01-2012, 22:39
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Ellisdeee must live here.Ellisdeee must live here.Ellisdeee must live here.Ellisdeee must live here.Ellisdeee must live here.Ellisdeee must live here.Ellisdeee must live here.
Points: 975, Level: 4 Points: 975, Level: 4 Points: 975, Level: 4
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

It's human communication. I am okay with it if it communicates accurately what I am using.

If you do you use slang for something like pills or other drugs. You should know the real names too. Ie. if you sell Xanax, you should know what Alprazolam is. If you tell someone you have a "blue football" you should be aware that is a 1mg dose of your xanax (iirc on the blue part). The problem I have had is when someone offers me something and they cannot tell me the non-brand name or they cannot tell me the dosage. Then there is a problem.

I don't see why I would be bothered by slang, as long as it is used properly. If someone is selling me ecstasy, I will assume it might have MDMA but many other things as well. I have never met a dealer selling "molly" not be aware that he intends and means "I have powder MDMA". Save the always existing possibility something can always be something else, I'm trying to keep this simple. Because under that mentality even someone selling you "MDMA" could be completely wrong. So I won't go there. As I said, assume slang used properly. This goes for anything, again...as long as it communicates what I am buying. Buds quite clearly communicates I am buying marijuana. I have never heard of someone selling buds that are not marijuana.

Using slang is not always a bad idea. Sometimes the more outlandish the better. That sounds familiar doesn't it? Like when this site has a "No Self-Incrimination" rule. Well, some people on here still prefer to follow their own rule of thumb of self incrimination. What makes that mentality any different than not wanting to say in public in the parking lot at college "hey man, I got some 10 milligram diazepam pills, do you want any?". I'd really fucking prefer someone not approach me and be blunt like that as a potential black market consumer even or ever say some shit like that on the phone.

And sometimes slang can be used once you know someone and a way to be unobvious. I will share something I knew of long ago, it sticks in my head because it was quite obscure. An imaginary person who sold weed had high quality (dro) and mid quality (mids). Once you were aware of him, you would call him up and ask him if he wants to come over and watch a movie (buy some). If he said ya he'll come watch something, you'd suggest the movie that you want to watch and pick a movie that starts with a D (dro) or M (mids). To determine quantity he would just have you ballpark it and say, it's a kinda short movie, it's a pretty short movie, this movie is pretty damn long, you may be here a while etc. Now I think that is WAY too much cover up and work. But do you know what? Nobody would probably ever suspect he is dealing and he could walk through a crowded park answering his dealer phone calls talking about going to watch Donnie Darko later that day. Of course now, this imaginary person doesn't anymore, this is a long time ago example but it always stuck in my head cause it is damn creative.

There's a difference between using slang and being a retard, to put it short. Sometimes slang is very much appropriate if you aren't completely dumb. That is just realistic. There are many places slang does not have it's place as well, it's a situational thing.
Old 28-01-2012, 23:38
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%

Regardless if you are for it or against it, slang names are helpful in one aspect, at least to officers.

Different areas have different slang names for different substances. Yes, if marijuana is said, officers would know it's marijuana, however, if one part of the world/country calls it "weed" and another calls it "bud" it would give a better understanding of where it is that the substance is being talked about.

It's not just officers, people who are experienced in substances can get a geographical understanding most of the time due to slang used to describe it. For drug users, this would be a negative, if all that comes across is "marijuana" is on the rise or there is a "marijuana" drought, it can be anywhere. If a specific name is used, it helps locate the are more.
Old 28-01-2012, 23:57
Mercury Member

Male from Canada
Pain Hurts needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

Did you go to private school?
... is your name Jeremy?
... this is where I get all BAU on your ass ....

anyhow, to each his own. Slang and words used to describe other things have an enormous impact and deeply personal meaning to at least 3.5 Billion people. Drug or non related.

I wish you all the best and please do not forget to look 3 ways when crossing a road, or light, stop sign, or angle.

The 3rd is up ^

It would be shitty if I was yelling at you from across the street while your headphones wee blaring and a news chopper (helicopter) was spiraling down upon you. Heaven 4-bid.

nonsense post with nothing to do with the topic
Old 07-02-2012, 08:59
Mercury Member

24 y/o Male from United States
dkmonk needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

It is used because dealers would shit bricks if you said on the phone or in person, "Swim needs 2 ounces of cocaine hydrochloride." or "Do swiy have any d-methamphetamine to sell today?_
Old 09-02-2012, 08:27

Male from United States
SWIMclub is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

This post should have been a non-starter but ...
1) Necessity is the mother of Invention. The terms' roots are in need.. It's a bit surprising that SWIY can grasp the need for such terms here, but not on the street.
2) If SWIY is on the phone in public, saying "Hey, I'm running a bit late, can I come by later and cut the weeds?" doesn't stand out. But saying "Mind if I swing by in an hour or two and pick up an ounce?" might just get noticed.
3) When jail is on the line, precautions are more than cool... unless you LIKE telling Bubba how much you love his lovin'?
4) Even if SWIY thinks it's stupid, if SWIY doesn't observe the conventions, the rest of the community will treat you like a leper, because they don't want SWIY getting them busted. SWIY should respect their wishes.

If that's not enough reasons, then feel free to yell out that SWIY has an illegal substance to sell. In fact, save some time and do so in front of the police station.

Cheers!

SWIMclub
Old 15-04-2012, 07:47
Silver Member

Male from Canada
usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3
Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7%

I'm on a fense on this one. On one side, I despise people who dont read up on the drugs they use. This massive amount of uninformed use is frightening. Most users actually don't know common side-effects, potential problems, how to use, safe use, they only know what they hear from friends, media. Friends and media usually dont know either. this is how rumours and false info gets spread. knowing the real chemical name promotes intteligent safe use.

On the other hand, knowing slang is essential to buying drugs. If you cant understand or dont use slang, dealers might not trust you. Speakiing so gramitcally correct isn't really highly prized in a lot of drug circles, some users might feel that you're being condensing or make bad judgements on the knowledge you posess. Users, also use a lot of slang to speak about using in a way that isn't supsicous. Obviously they want to be secretive.

On a lighter note, sometimes it's fun to use slang. I enjoy throwing some slang around when using drugs, it keeps things fun. When I researched what I'm doing, why not loosen up and use the slang which is easier and funner to say anyways. Makes conversation faster and keeps things light and not overly intellectual. Many drugs users aren't as open to intellectual conversation while high like I or you might be.
Old 14-05-2012, 04:48

44 y/o Male from USA - California
almostdaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Is there a place in DF that list's drugs common street names?
Old 14-05-2012, 05:23
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from United States
ebolarama is a decent psychonaut.ebolarama is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 192, Level: 2 Points: 192, Level: 2 Points: 192, Level: 2

I don't see why someone would be so angry about slang terms. If I'm at work and I ask my buddy if he feels like getting supper tonight, nobody bats an eye. If i were to say hey man call up dude and lets split some oxymorphone, people would be quite alarmed. Obviously you should only use slang with friends who also know what it means.

Now that i think about it though that's not really slang, just codes I guess. Still, saying you're getting down won't get you as many weird looks as saying insufflating opiates.
Old 14-05-2012, 07:37
Anti Matter Member

49 y/o Male from Germany
TheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 9,212, Level: 14 Points: 9,212, Level: 14 Points: 9,212, Level: 14
Activity: 52.3% Activity: 52.3% Activity: 52.3%
I dispise the use of drug slang in general when posting on a substance information board.
Surely there will be some code words to be safe on the phone or in public. Not too long ago I had a phone talk with my best friend that went like: translated from German)
<Hi, have you got the dwarfs*>?
>yea, got them. what else should bring?<
<bring some greens** and noodles*** or oranges***with you>
>Alright, will do<
<And don't forget the car-jack****!>

Meaning: *Dwarf= small methadone take-away bottle with a red cap on top
**greens = 10 ml syringes with green plunger
***noodles or oranges = needles No 16 short with orange swivvel
****car-jack= tourniquet (don't ask for a reason, it just happened to get that name)

This is slang to be sure that no one listening to the call can have any suspiscious thoughts. But to just use words to look like one was in the know, like Sparkles put it above is superfluent and is just showing off who the biggest druggie is.

In some cases I feel there is too many words for the same thing even in one town or neighbourhood.
And to disambiguate between diacetylmorphine and heroin only the prefix «street» really is needed. Which then would mean something akin to smack...

Using the chemical names is a good way to get misunderstandings, there are many substances with several correct chemical names.
Education is everything. You gotta learn them all...*sigh*

TBBW

Gesendet von meinem GT-S5360 mit Tapatalk, corrected and edited on my ideapad windows7 with Firefox 12 something.

Last edited by TheBigBadWolf; 14-05-2012 at 18:35. Reason: typos, addition
Old 14-05-2012, 12:43
Palladium Member

34 y/o Male from Portugal
YIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPAC
Points: 3,677, Level: 9 Points: 3,677, Level: 9 Points: 3,677, Level: 9
Activity: 29.2% Activity: 29.2% Activity: 29.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdaman View Post
Is there a place in DF that list's drugs common street names?
Look up Threads Tagged with drug slang.

Share this on:

Tags
consequences of drug prohibition, drug, drug forums, drug names, drug slang, drug terms, drugs, drugs forum, dublin, education about drugs, england, forum slang, molly, talking about drugs