Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Downers addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Downers addiction Support for coping with benzodiazepine, barbiturate, and sedative-hypnotic drug addiction and downers addiction treatment.

Old 20-11-2011, 20:17

24 y/o Male from Sweden
adamwebb12 should review received reputation comments.
changes in life after leaving xanax

hey all, was wondering if there's anyone out there who was addcited to xanax but managed to quit. Swim finds that his general attitude towards life has changed and has stopped drinking alcohol out of fear of getting dragged into another addiction. People who have never been addicted to a substance don't understand what i'm going through and it's really hard to explain to people why i don't drink. Another problem is the pill craving and nausea which is getting better as time goes by but it's still a pain in the ass. Anyone else going through similar problems?
Old 20-11-2011, 20:30
Palladium Member

34 y/o Male from Portugal
YIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPACYIPMAN must think in IUPAC
Points: 3,677, Level: 9 Points: 3,677, Level: 9 Points: 3,677, Level: 9
Activity: 29.2% Activity: 29.2% Activity: 29.2%
Re: changes in life after leaving xanax

Hey there adamwebb12!

Here are some threads you may look into:

Story of Xanax Withdrawal
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44326

Stopping Xanax 1.5-2mg/day, worried.
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=162203

Xanax (alprazolam) withdrawal : 5-htp seems effective
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70681

Alprazolam (Xanax) withdrawal???? OPINIONS NEED STAT!!!
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94161

possible Alprazolam withdrawal
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=158472

Xanax (Alprazolam) addiction.
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=145084

how long drugs stay in your system
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73897

As I do not have any personal experience, I can not help you further.

I wish you all the best!

Post Quality Evaluations:
Helpful steering

Last edited by YIPMAN; 20-11-2011 at 20:32. Reason: Added further links
Old 20-11-2011, 21:57
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

30 y/o Female from United States
SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

What your going through is completely normal. Why do you feel like you need to justify yourself for not wanting to drink? I think you need to look at some underlying issues there. For some reason, you care what these people are thinking of you for not wanting to drink. Who cares what they think, you don't want to drink because you don't want to drink. Simple as that, and that is the only explanation needed when people ask you why. So do not let that get you down, you will become more comfortable with it over time.

The w/d symptoms will eventually fade, what your feeling is normal and it will come to an END, I promise. Just give it some time. Try Unisom for the nausea, the one with the ingredient doxolymine, it works great for nausea. And get yourself into a support group. You need people (and will make friends there) who understand what you are going through, who you can lean on for support and advice, and who can help guide you on the road to sobriety. It is very hard to stay sober alone. And it is even harder if you are surrounding yourself with friends who want to go out and party and drink and try to peer pressure you. You don't need that right now. I had to cut all my friends that partied out of my life. People, place, and things that surround your addiction will take you right back down that road. I strongly suggest going to NA or AA meetings, you will find the right friends and support in this tough time in your life. I don't say "good luck" to recovering addicts, because luck has nothing to do with it. Only if you do the right things will you continue on the right road, and that is all up to you.
Old 20-11-2011, 22:47

24 y/o Male from Sweden
adamwebb12 should review received reputation comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulStealer View Post
What your going through is completely normal. Why do you feel like you need to justify yourself for not wanting to drink? I think you need to look at some underlying issues there. For some reason, you care what these people are thinking of you for not wanting to drink. Who cares what they think, you don't want to drink because you don't want to drink. Simple as that, and that is the only explanation needed when people ask you why. So do not let that get you down, you will become more comfortable with it over time.

The w/d symptoms will eventually fade, what your feeling is normal and it will come to an END, I promise. Just give it some time. Try Unisom for the nausea, the one with the ingredient doxolymine, it works great for nausea. And get yourself into a support group. You need people (and will make friends there) who understand what you are going through, who you can lean on for support and advice, and who can help guide you on the road to sobriety. It is very hard to stay sober alone. And it is even harder if you are surrounding yourself with friends who want to go out and party and drink and try to peer pressure you. You don't need that right now. I had to cut all my friends that partied out of my life. People, place, and things that surround your addiction will take you right back down that road. I strongly suggest going to NA or AA meetings, you will find the right friends and support in this tough time in your life. I don't say "good luck" to recovering addicts, because luck has nothing to do with it. Only if you do the right things will you continue on the right road, and that is all up to you.
Thanks for the suggestion,iv never been to an NA or AA meeting. Whats the difference? And do you think i'll be the only youngster there?..im kinda hoping to find someone whos going through the same type of problem as me
Old 20-11-2011, 23:43

25 y/o Male from United States
Sugar1 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

Swim once had a bad xanax addiction . Life kinda seems different after your addiction cuz your not barred out all the time and your back to real life . As far as the pill cravings your gonna have em for a while . Ive been non addicted to xanax for a year now with only one relapse , and every now and then I get the craving to just pop one or two and get really messed up but that wont help . I suggest you get yourself some hobbies or something to get your mind off the pills . Exercising has always helped me alot .
Old 21-11-2011, 23:18
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

30 y/o Female from United States
SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

AA stands for Alcoholics Anonymous, but there isn't just alcoholics there...people addicted to numerous substances will go to these. And NA is Narcotics Anonymous, meaning people with all sorts of addictions go here. In my experience, I have found that AA is typically more older folks. I like NA alot better, because I could relate better to that crowd. And they definately have alot of young recovering addicts in there, and they also have older ones. I made alot of friends around my age in there, I was 23 at the time. But there were kids as young as 16 in there, so I think you would relate alot better to that group. You can google your area and NA and see if you can find the meeting time and places on there, or you can go to your local veterans group, church, YMCA or whatever and they usually will have the pamphlets for NA listing all the meetings for the week. And don't feel uncomfortable walking in there, they love newcomers, and will welcome you with open arms and they want to help you. Their saying is "We only keep what we have by giving it away." It helped me alot when I first got sober. And I still have great friendships from them.

Another thing with Xanax, and any benzo, is that they effect the GABBA center in your brain. Think of it like this, GABBA is your brains natural Xanax. In people not addicted to benzo's, when they get anxious, this part of their brain kicks in and sends out GABBA to help you calm down and and get rid of some of the adrenaline that was released in your body. When you become addicted to a benzo, your brain realises it is getting artificial GABBA from outside the body in doses alot higher than what it is used to, so therefore your brain shuts down it's GABBA production. And stops producing it all together. So when you stop Xanax, it takes quite a while for your brain to realise that it isn't getting an outside source of GABBA anymore, and it slooooowwlly will start to produce them again.

This is why when you stop Xanax, your going to feel more anxious than usual. More anxious than before you ever started Xanax. And it is going to take alot longer and be more difficult to get your body to calm down. Especially if you did have an anxiety disorder or panic attacks, compared to someone who didn't have an anxiety disorder and just took Xanax for it's recreational effects, but even those (who I was) still experience these side effects for some time. So hang in there, it will get better. In the meantime, look for those support groups and go to one.

Sorry for all the info, but I just think it is important info to know, about how the brain works and how it will go back to normal. When I was in rehab, a young man was coming off of Xanax and having a really hard time (he had bad anxiety and panic attacks) and he kept telling me how much worse his anxiety is now and how he thought it would never get better. At this time, I was uneducated in the medical feild, so I just told him to hang on and it will get better. I couldn't tell him what was really going on because I didn't know. The next day the young man ended up jumping in front of a train and killing himself, he had a 1 year old daughter at home. It was so sad. And I always thought, if only someone had educated him on what was really going on and he knew it really would get better and his brain really would go back to normal, he might not have acted on that fear that his life would never get better and left so many people devestated by his irrational choice out of fear and clearly, lack of judgement from what was going on in his brain. Education is key.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good information, poignant and touching example

Last edited by SoulStealer; 21-11-2011 at 23:27.

Share this on:

Tags
addicted, addiction, addicts, alcoholics, alcoholics anonymous, alprazolam, anonymous, craving, cravings, drug addiction, drugs, drugs forum, recovery, sober, withdrawal, xanax