Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 14-11-2011, 21:48
Silver Member

33 y/o Female from United States
tbuns is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Recovery from cross addiction (Opiates to Ritalin/Methamphetamine)

Wasn't sure where to put this thread, but since opiates were used the longest, here seemed appropriate.

This chick was addicted to vicodin, oxycodone, then methadone from 2001-2011. She was also a daily drinker. In 2007, she was put on Suboxone. Between 2007 and the present she has never gained more than 6 months of recovery without relapsing. She is an admitted addict.

A few weeks ago, this chick got a wild hair up her ass after her doctor started making her pick up her Suboxone three times a week and made the move to kick the Suboxone (she was at 16mg a day).

Now two months ago, she was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder and was prescribed Ritalin. The first week she took them as prescribed, then moves on to crushing and snorting the Ritalin. When she was still on the Suboxone, she only snorted a 2-4 a day. She ran out early and got an early refill from urgent care.

Towards the end of October 2011, the chick goes off Suboxone at 16mg a day. By the the 50th hour off the Suboxone she started to feel the withdrawals (she knew what to expect as she detoxed off methadone back in 2006). Not quite a nightmare as the Ritalin helped but still rather unpleasant. By this time, she upped her Ritalin dose from 20mg a day to 100. By the time she got her second months prescription, she snorted about ten 10mg pills a day and was out within the week.

So she is out of Ritalin, still going through Opiate withdrawals -her worst symptoms were restless legs, body aches, hay fever, yawning, depression, and CRAVINGS. Here comes the really ugly part.

She is desperate for relief and decided to seek out some Cocaine. She meets an acquaintance who she thought would have some but he does not - he has methamphetamine. This is a drug she swore she would never use because she knew she would be instantly hooked. So her friend smokes her out but she doesn't feel much of a rush (and never would from meth) but got good and fucking high - so she takes home a bag.

The chick suffers consequences immediately. Within an hour of being home, she goes to the kitchen and then faints, scratching her face and knocking her head. She goes to the ER and luckily she is fine. When she returns home from the ER, she promptly lights a bowl of dope and smokes another quarter gram of methamphetamine (what the fuck is she thinking?!)

This kicks off a two week binge of daily smoking and staying up a couple of nights at a time. During this time, she eats only every other day, has unsafe sex (contracts an STD), put herself in danger many times over in many ways. She can barely recognize herself in the mirror as her eyes are sunken and has no color in her face. Since the Ritalin began she lost 30lbs. She works from home and gets nothing done, has constant heartburn, meth mouth, has poor hygiene and is all around a tweaked out mess.

Now this chick has lost a sister, relatives and many friends to addiction/alcoholism. She realized she has to put on the breaks before she suffers further consequences. She takes her last his on November 13th. And plans on returning to AA/NA this very day. She feels that she is powerless over her addictions and is now willing to work the 12 steps again.

Today is the 14th, and she has no drugs other than what is prescribed and is relieved that this is over (if she wants it to be). Her current medications are 40mg Celexa, 20mg Abilify, 50mg Aterax, 300mg Wellbutrin and 2-3mg Klonopin. She hopes her medications help her through any PAWS and possible crash from the Ritalin and Methamphetamine. She is taking a good multi-vitamin, B-12, B6, vitamin C, Calcium, Magnesium, Fish Oil and Milk Thistle. She has considered Amino Acids but is not sure since she is an SSRI.

So she mainly wanted to share her story because it is cathartic and to see if anyone has had similar experiences, feedback or has any advice for the coming crash and PAWS. One thing she wants to know is if she has she totally fucked up her brain chemistry...

Be well all.

tbuns

(sorry for the windy post)
Old 15-11-2011, 05:12
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,760, Level: 11 Points: 5,760, Level: 11 Points: 5,760, Level: 11
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Re: Recovery from cross addiction (Opiates to Ritalin/Methamphetamine)

Just from observing people during my life, and people's stories on this board, it is very common for people to finish up with opiates and move to stimulants. It really does appear to be a part of the recovery process. I too did this back in the day.

I honestly think that the drive to not use opiates is that high, yet the nervous system is screaming for a fix. So the user justifies to their self, "Oh hey, at least it's not opiates", because stimulants are arguably the lesser of the two evils. It can be just as evil to a person, however, but quitting a psychological addiction appears to be easier than quitting a physical addiction.

My post-methadone drug of abuse was ecstasy, then approximately six months later, it became methamphetamine. I found it easier to cope with when the route of administration was oral. The high wasn't as sketchy, and I had more energy with a better overall vibe.

The things that I found hardest about quitting methamphetamine were the weight gain, the rebound depression, and the severe lack of motivation to do anything to improve my life/diet/living conditions. In this time, I almost felt like I needed a babysitter or somebody there to help me with the basics, so I could learn to look after myself properly again.

I didn't suffer from PAWS, however, I took naltrexone for six months or so after my methadone detox. My frame of mind, however, was very positive throughout this time. I didn't actually have very much to be happy about, but I focused on being grateful for the things that were yet to come. I would sit there and think to myself how grateful I was to have fixed my life, and achieved the hardest goal I'd ever set. I was grateful for the strength that came from within, with carried me through these times while I felt like a little child and learned to live like a normal person.

It does pay off in the end hun and you really need to believe in yourself. You have the potential to go so far in life, but you really need to try your best to get there. Get through this, and there isn't anything you can't do, 'cause you'll be tough as fucking gutz if you stick at it.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Awesome info, very supportive & helpful to the OP as well.
Old 15-11-2011, 16:56
Silver Member

33 y/o Female from United States
tbuns is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Thanks Ex Junkie.

Well my FOAF is about 20 days off Suboxone and 36 hours off methamphetamine and feels fairly normal except for a complete lack of motivation. Yesterday she just sat in her room all day leaving the house once to get smokes and coffee.

But it could be much worse.
Old 16-11-2011, 13:50
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,760, Level: 11 Points: 5,760, Level: 11 Points: 5,760, Level: 11
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

The lack of motivation is just part of the body's natural response to going through something so traumatic. Now is the time to make sure that you drink 2L of water daily, try to eat a diet that is high in protein, low in fat, low in salt, low in processed sugary foods, and not too many carbs. If you can manage to do that, then your body will thank you for it. Not just your body, but your mind... when your body is maintaining homeostasis, your mood and motivation should rise to reflect the optimal conditions.

Careful with the coffee too. It can make you dehydrated, which in turn lowers your blood pressure, which in turn makes you tired and less motivated. Every little thing you do has a cumulative effect, and your body is likely to be super sensitive to little things and your diet plays a massive role in how you feel even on a good day.

It's okay to sit in your room all day, but make sure you do some light exercises and get some sunlight. The earlier in the day that you get your sunlight the better. Remember that the sun is still delivering its goodness on cloudy days, rainy days, days when you can't even see the bloody thing lol. If you're sleeping odd hours, then try sleeping with the curtains/blinds open, but be careful not to be in direct sunlight of course because you will get sunburnt. I do this often, so that I'm getting my very first doses of sunlight when the sun rises in the morning. *Of course the placement of your house/windows/other factors will affect whether this is a suitable option for you.

Just to summarise: Your brain chemistry can be affected by low energy and water input, so keep in mind that not eating/drinking properly can have a disastrous effect. Sunlight helps to reset circadian rhythm, which works wonders on sleep routine and mood.

Share this on:

Tags
addiction, alcohol, alcoholism, drug addiction, hydrocodone, meth damage, methadone, methamphetamine, opiate addiction, opiates, oxycodone, paws, post acute withdrawal syndrome, recovery, ritalin, suboxone