Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antipsychotics
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 20:20
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from Brazil
downers89 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 101, Level: 1 Points: 101, Level: 1 Points: 101, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
How bad is ziprasidone (Zeldox/Geodon) withdrawal?

So, I've been on Geodon for Borderline Personality and suicidal ideation for about 1 year and a couple months. I want to stop it, now I take 80mg/day of Geodon. I don't want to buy it anymore because it's too expensive. I have like 20caps. of 40mg, what, in your experiences, would be the best way to down the dosage. Can I try 10 days on 40mg/day and then 20 days on 40mg every other day? There's no way to split, since it's a capsule.

PS.: Here in Brazil we don't have the 20mg caps. Only 40mg and 80mg capsules and an 20mg IM ampoule, but this one is clinic/hospital only.

downers89 added 2 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

I'm sorry, I misspelled the generic name, it's ziprasidone, not ziprasidona. Thx

Last edited by downers89; 12-09-2011 at 20:20. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 17-07-2012, 08:49

Female from United States
shedontlie69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Out of Geodon which I desperately need. Need help with withdrawals.

Hello. I'm on 20mg Geodon every night. I've been taking it for about a year now. The dosage have gradually been decreased from 80 down to 20. I'm all out of geodon, and I don't have a psychiatrist where I just moved. I just moved to Colorado. I need help. Without the geodon I can't sleep, if I do sleep I don't rest, I just sort of close my eyes and don't think I guess. I have horrible anxiety without it as well, and I have OCD so it's a million times worse. I get shaky when I don't take it, and very paranoid. I'm taking it for bipolar disorder.
Are there any remedies that will help with the withdrawal? I don't know how long it will be until I can get my medication refilled. It's 2am here, and I am still unable to sleep. I feel horrible. Please help me.
My mom told me to just take benadryl to help me sleep, but it doesn't work, I just get all out of it and paranoid.
Thanks.
Old 12-10-2012, 23:41
Policy, Various & Reviews
Co-Moderator

49 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12
Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9%
Re: How bad is ziprasidona (Zeldox/Geodon) withdrawal?

Changes in various neurotransmitter systems following rapid discontinuation of antipsychotic drugs (including Ziprasidone) may lead to withdrawal effects. Ziprasidone seems to have a high affinity for dopaminergic and serotonergic receptors, which may account for these withdrawals. Please note that the lowest values indicate the highest binding affinities:

The British National Formulary (BNF) warns against rapid discontinuation of antipsychotic medication:

"There is a high risk of relapse if medication is stopped after 1–2 years. Withdrawal of antipsychotic drugs after long-term therapy should always be gradual and closely monitored to avoid the risk of acute withdrawal syndromes or rapid relapse. Patients should be monitored for 2 years after withdrawal of antipsychotic medication for signs and symptoms of relapse." (BNF 63 March 2012).

I don't know if the suggested schedule would lead to withdrawal effects, but it may well take more than the month proposed. I'm sad that you cannot afford this medication, but discontinuation is best done gradually, with qualified medical supervision. How did you get on?

Last edited by Mindless; 13-10-2012 at 01:45. Reason: new comment
Old 22-10-2012, 22:45
Policy, Various & Reviews
Co-Moderator

49 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12
Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9%
Re: Out of Geodon which I desperately need. Need help with withdrawals.

Diphenhydramine can act as a deliriant antihistamine, hence the disorientation and paranoia. I find it distressing that you seem to lack access to proper help and wonder how you're getting on now. I don't know much about Ziprasidone, but it does seem to have a high affinity for D2 and 5HT-2A receptors (dopamine and serotonin receptor types) which may account for the apparently distressing effects of it's discontinuation (Receptor Binding Profile of Antipsychotics, various sources). I can't think of any remedy other than use of a prescribed antipsychotic medication.

Antipsychotics in general can lead to a withdrawal or discontinuation syndrome, which can be hard to distinguish from psychotic illness. There is also a much higher chance of relapse with sudden discontinuation. Even after a gradual cessation there is a need for regular monitoring for a couple of years in case of relapse (British National Formulary 63 March 2012).

The safest way to obtain antipsychotic medication is by prescription, especially as some of these drugs can have potentially life-threatening adverse effects if given to those with pre-existing physical problems. It seems to me that your only way forward is to find a way to obtain qualified assistance and a prescription. Its been roughly three months since your post, how are you doing now? Is there anything you found helpful?

Last edited by Mindless; 22-10-2012 at 22:57. Reason: added source and link

Share this on:

Tags
antipsychotic discontinuation syndrome, antipsychotic withdrawal, geodon, withdrawals, ziprasidone