Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Fentanyl
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 27-05-2011, 03:35

34 y/o Female from United States
whatsmynormal1979 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%
Can not get the patch to stick (tried everything)!

Hello

I am new to this board but unfortunately not to the world of opiates

I have been taking pain pills oxycodone and vicodin for a number of years but true to the nature of medicine I need more to provide relief so my Dr put me on hydrocodone and a long acting Mylan Fentanyl patch. I am not a fan because it does not provide much more relief and I just can not get the damn thing to stay put! I have tried the tegaderm/bioclusive tape as well as medical tape on the edges, I have children and I worry about it falling off and one of them finding it (they do know meds are not toys/candy) but I still worry. I tried opana and kadian and they did not agree with me, so I guess does anyone have any tricks? I am thinking of just going back to oxycodone but I hate taking 6/8 pills a day Any advice would be helpful and thanks in advance!

I take the meds for chronic pain involving my back knees and ankles.
Old 27-05-2011, 04:44
Nomen est Omen

51 y/o Male from USA - Colorado
St Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline Medline
Points: 4,892, Level: 10 Points: 4,892, Level: 10 Points: 4,892, Level: 10
Activity: 19.6% Activity: 19.6% Activity: 19.6%
Re: Can not get the patch to stick (tried everything)!

I use the Watkins Pharmaceutical patch and have the exact same problem. The manufacturer specifically recommends Tegaderm or Bioclusive in my case, but I have found that Nexcare waterproof tape actually works perfectly. It is the thick, flesh-colored tape and is kind of stretchy. I take long hot showers, play with the grandkids, wrestle around with the (90 pound) dog, and most other activities that a "normal" person would engage in, and I have never had a problem with it coming off or even working loose! I actually just removed a patch earlier tonight after four days of being on (I forgot about it!), and the tape was still sticky as hell! It's about $6.00 US a roll and the roll will last a good month, if not longer.

I was also taking Opana ER 80mg. twice a day, but I like the patch quite a bit better! No "roller-coaster" pain relief, just a smooth and steady ride. Out of curiousity, do you find that the hydromorphon works any better than the oxycodones? I have both, but usually stick to the hydro at about 12 mgs as needed, rather than 30-45 mgs of the oxy.

You can get the Nexcare product at Wal-Greens.

Last edited by St Dismas Novitiate; 27-05-2011 at 04:45. Reason: further info
Old 23-06-2011, 19:15
Gold Member

26 y/o Male from United States
GForce really adds to the discussion.GForce really adds to the discussion.GForce really adds to the discussion.GForce really adds to the discussion.GForce really adds to the discussion.GForce really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,159, Level: 5 Points: 1,159, Level: 5 Points: 1,159, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I have a prescription as well, as a result of a car accident, and I had the exact same problem. I still have the problem since I often find them in my bed when I wake up, loosening as water gets on/under them in the shower or peeling off on a hot day (which is everyday now that it is summer). The only thing that really worked was changing them to smaller doses. So instead of keeping a 100µg patch stuck to my skin I find keeping 2 50µg patches stuck is a lot easier since there's less patch to flex as you move your body around. You also get the added bonus of being able to have more versatility with your dose meaning that if your pain isn't so bad on a particular day you can put only one on instead of two. Other than that there isn't much more you can do. I find medical tape to peel off within an hour (and you end up with mounds of tape upon tape throughout a day) and tegaderm, while a little bit better, still gives you that issue of the whole piece flexing and slowly coming unstuck. Tegaderm is also really expensive for what it is; it might be worth it if it worked flawlessly but it doesn't even come close. Good luck and let us know if you find anything that works well.
Old 13-07-2011, 19:22
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

27 y/o Male from United States
drumlord420 should review received reputation comments.
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

They way AFOAF gets his to stick is with band-aids...4 of them (on the edge of every side...). Works better than anticipated...He thought that he wouldn't get any of the drug into his system, because it was still floppy in the middle, but, for some reason, the minimal contact points that were sticking provided enough surface area for the drug to be passed through. Cheap and effective method! Try it!
Good luck!
Old 14-07-2011, 00:20
Nomen est Omen

St Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline Medline

The Nexcare tape serves the same purpose. It is more expensive, but lasts longer that a plain band-aid does. One roll will last a full month, easy!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:35
Nomen est Omen

Well, I was using the Watkins Phamaceutical patch and was having this problem continually, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, but the last time I went to the pharmacy, they gave me a choice between this and the Mylan brand. I figured "what the hell, I might as well try the other (mylan) stuff."

To my surprise, it worked! I am now on my fourth patch and they stick like a charm. Nothing in my routine has changed-I still take long hot showers, my activity level is the same, I put the patch in the same places as always, etc. The only difference is that now I don't have to use tape to keep the damn things on!

The Mylan brand patches are smaller, so I was thinking that might be the difference (less flexing of the patch means better adhesion), but that hasn't been true for everyone, so I don't know why it would be true for me. I always use the same placement area too-the upper thigh, side of the abs, upper shoulder, and I rotate from side to side every other patch.

I don't know why, but they stick now, so I'm pretty happy about that. I just hope it continues!

Share this on:

Tags
fentanyl, fentanyl patch, fentanyl patches, mylan, nicorette